Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Upper Canada Village, part 2


Right, some more photos from our trip to Upper Canada Village in Morrisburg, Ontario.

This picture was just... strange.

"Something are justified, justice is not." I cannot make out the first word underneath the drawing. More to the point, why is a monkey, sitting on a tree stump while holding scales of justice, talking to two cats? What's with the knocked over candle? And a dish of cream for the kities! I wish I 'd asked the interpreter about this one!



Meanwhile, laundry flaps in the breeze. Okay, there was no breeze nor flapping. The temps were in the 90s that day, and humidex was over 100F. Everybody was melting.


I am SO glad that I have a front-loader instead of a bucket and washboard.



Here's a horse-drawn barge that my in-laws took back to the entrance while we wandered around a bit more.



There are lots of interpreters going around the village with horses, oxen, musical instruments...



Here's a very old hooked rug, done using the same techniques I use for my rugs. No doubt the colours were brighter when it was hooked a very long time ago. And I want a spinning wheel! That's my next "thing": I want to learn to spin.



Horse and farmer against a backdrop of the St. Lawrence River.




These birds were made with feathers!




A scenic door.




"The Physician's House" Most of the buildings on this site were moved here from other places, particularly from an area flooded in 1958 for a large hydroelectric project on the St. Lawrence.



A rather ornate coal stove in the Physician's house. Wood heating was the norm around here at the time; coal was for the better-off!


And in the Physician's house, a fine collection of blood-sucking leeches...


They are apparently fed only liver, so no human blood is needed for their upkeep.
If I need leeches, I can just go wade in the river at the back of our property!




A view of Christ Church, c. 1837.



The cheesemaker, and he was actually making cheese that day. He looks surprisingly cool for someone sitting in a room with two wood-fired vats of cheese. Remember, it was in the 90s that day! They sell the cheese in the village gift shop.



Cabbages in one of the many vegetable gardens.




The blacksmith. Another fun job on a stinking hot day!


Inside the Masonic Lodge. Those whacky Masons!




Beach's Sawmill. It was taking 20 minutes to saw a board off the tree that was going through at the time! Water power!




One of several log buildings on the site. We used to have a pioneer cabin on our farm, but it collapsed long before we bought this property and unfortunately there's nothing left of it.




And here we have an interpreter in the summer kitchen, making cucumber pickles. What you can't see is the roaring fire in the nearby woodstove, keeping everyone extra toasty-warm in the sweltering August heat.


And now for something completely different...


This room was upstairs in Crysler Hall, which is now the orientation centre. I believe it is intentionally a throw-back to the 1950s, because the room features information about the hydroelectric flooding project of 1958. I grew up with furniture like this!



And here's another interpreter strolling with his oxen.



Meanwhile, back at the entrance we have the juxtaposition of old and new.



The woodworking shop.


Garden-fresh veggies on a rustic bench.



The tinsmith's shop.


Mooooo!


Hope you enjoyed your tour of Upper Canada Village! I highly recommend a visit.


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour. It's been ages since my last visit, way back when our kids were young enough to enjoy it. We took them on the little train ride...is it still there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The train is indeed still there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will still teach you to spin, Pnat. Now you just have to put up with an infant for a few days while you get the hang of it.

    Let me know when you're ready to pick a wheel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun trip.

    They really need one of those horse drawn barge rides at six flags. It would be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! most of the pictures just made me want to paint. They look so much like paintings already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always good to see. We have Pioneer Village here. Looks just the same. My son participated when he was in Grade 4. His class had lessons there in the old school house with costumes, for a week. Are you sure you've got the Moooo right under the last picture? Shouldn't it be "Eat chicken not beef!" Ooops, no offense to your chickies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tour! I've been there many times and always love it. I think I'm living in the wrong time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lauren, I am sure you have the world's most adorable infant!! I'll keep you posted.

    James, a horse-drawn barge would no doubt be one of the cheapest rides to maintain at a Six Flags park!

    Surani, get painting. (I'm sure you have lots of spare time now, eh, what with a newborn baby?!! ;) )

    Monika, you are right about the caption. Hey, I grew up in Toronto and was always visiting Black Creek Pioneer Village. We even went to a friend's wedding there in the early 90s. I'll have to go back some day.

    Freshisle, it's definitely like stepping back in time. I love the craftsmanship that went into everything in those day. No cheap crap from CHina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frances7:08 pm

    Wow, you take really nice photos. I remember how hot it was that day; it was one of the only days this summer when visitors/tourists were asking us if we were hot in our costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Frances! I felt sorry for everyone in their heavy costumes on that day. The interpreters (i.e. you!) do a great job at that place. You make it special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frances6:37 pm

    The women's costumes really aren't that bad, they're made out of a really light cotton material that breathes really well, and the hoop skirts create airflow. It's the men I feel sorry for, they have to wear jackets all the time. You should come visit the village between mid-November until the beginning of January, the entire village is lit up with Christmas lights, it's really quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frances, I will definitely make an effort to come see the lights. I checked out the website and it looks beautiful!! Thanks.

    And ugh, imagine wearing a jacket when the humidex is 40C (like the day I visited!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!