Saturday, December 19, 2009

A new twist on an old favourite...

Last night was the final night of Hanukkah, and we went to our first Hanukkah meal ever at my friend Ronna's house.


I enjoyed lighting some of the candles. You can see why Hanukkah is also known as the Festival of Lights.



And these 3D glasses that turned the flames into Stars of David were really cool!

But the best part of the meal?


POUTINE LATKES, invented by Ronna! They were a cross-cultural delight. Ronna has a great new blog called the Poutine Chronicles, and I consider her the "Queen of Poutine," (or perhaps La reine de poutine) as does the New York Times. For those not in the know, poutine is a Quebec delicacy that traditionally features French fries with gravy and cheese curds on top. While poutine is a heart attack on a plate, it's also really yummy!


Here is the Queen of Poutine with her remarkable new creation.



Regular latkes next to the poutine variety.



Me sampling the deliciousity. I ate many poutine latkes and many more regular latkes, plus delicious chicken, salad and asparagus. Thus began the season of stuffing myself like a turkey on a daily basis!



Gordon expounds upon the excellence of POUTINE LATKES!



Ronna's beau Richard, with eyes blanked out because I've decided he works as a spy for CSIS, scrapes the last morsels of delightfulness from the poutine platter.



Dessert was suitably light and scrumptious!


And guess what? My sock monkey came along to party with Ronna's sock monkeys. He was quite well behaved...



...until he got into the vino and passed out in Miz Sock Monkey's lap!


What a wonderful evening. Thank you Ronna and Secret Spy Richard! (Ooops. I guess I've blown his cover. I hope they don't waterboard you, Richard.)

And today we are visiting our German baker friend and his partner. I have been promised cinnamon rolls and Stollen It is possible I may explode before Friday...

13 comments:

  1. Twas the blowout before Christmas... Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try those poutine latkes sometime. In the meanwhile, I keep meaning to try this place --> http://smokespoutinerie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phyllis12:06 pm

    POUTINE! I am now such a fan. Poutine latkes sound divine. ah, the holidays rock!

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have officially made me nervous with mentions of spies. We may well have to bring back Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jams, I had another blowout yesterday at our friend's place. He used to be a professional baker and I came home with twelve cinnamon buns and a loaf of Stollen bread. At this rate I will gain ten pounds before Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HWB, that place looks pretty cool, and I see they are planning a franchise in Ottawa. Chipotle pulled-pork poutine, wow!

    Phyllis, we will do poutine in Quebec when you visit.

    Chef Nick, I assure you I will not send CSIS after you. Unless you eat my chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. POUTINE......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You make me feel so lonely for Québec. I'll have to try to make it myself. Nowhere in Toronto is to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:54 pm

    So great to see you and Ronna,two of my favorite bloggers, enjoying a fabulous meal together! I love latkes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claudia, have you tried the place Happy Wombat Boy mentioned?

    http://smokespoutinerie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I had not. I just googled the place. I'll try it for sure. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a foodie friend who has tried it (the one who told me about it). He was unimpressed with the fries they used. When he was there, the seemed very hard and too crispy for his liking (something about thrice-cooked potatoes). I haven't had a chance to try it, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:35 pm

    My daughter eats deep-fried Snickers at the Indiana State Fair. Then there is that state fair delicacy, deep-fried Pepsi.

    Yes, I have eaten fried cheese curds. (Only once--they didn't come with a warning about not going on a ferris wheel afterwards.)

    But poutine...? And at the dinner table instead of a midway! Holy moly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Marylee, I can't imagine eating deep-fried cheese curds before a trip on a ferris wheel!! But poutine is a big deal around here (eastern Ontario, and Quebec.) I have to admit, I do really like it but of course it's a nutritional NIGHTMARE. :)

    Deep-fried pepsi sounds like a reeeally bad idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!