Friday, June 01, 2007

Don't get me started

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/219249

Last year in Toronto, while street-racing their Mommy and Daddy's expensive vehicles, two rich kids (although I hesitate to call 18-year-olds "kids") managed to kill a hard-working taxi driver, Tahir Khan, who was the sole support of his family back in Pakistan. He had been all set to receive his Canadian citizenship, and was planning on bringing his wife and children to Canada thereafter.

The two rich boys pled guilty (which I do commend them for) and received what amounts to the proverbial slap on the wrist: 12 months house arrest, two years probation, 150 hours of community service and a four-year suspension of their driver's licences.

Now, my hubster used to be a crown prosecutor in Toronto. I know a fair a bit about sentencing and what goes on in the courts and prisons. My mentality is not one of "Lock them up and throw away the key!", particularly with a pair of men like this, who might possibly rehabilitate themselves and make something of their lives. I talk to hubster about this stuff often and we debate rehabilitation, jail time, and even Aboriginal sentencing circles. So much of it doesn't seem to work, from what he has seen in his work. And no, I don't believe in capital punishment, which is not an option in the country anyway.

Regardless, I am less than impressed with the sentences the rich boys received. Actually, I am quite angry. While I am pleased that the Attorney General of Ontario is looking into the sentences, I really doubt he will allow them to be appealed.

What really pisses me off is that I know full well that if two kids who were immigrants from Pakistan killed some nice rich white Torontonian, they sure as hell wouldn't be getting 12 months house arrest.

It is unfortunate that street racing is not taken as seriously here as drunk-driving is, but I am pleased to note that Ontario just stiffened its fines and licence suspensions for street racing:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2007/05/29/street-racing-ontario.html?ref=rss

Meanwhile, spare a thought for the guy who was needlessly killed by these two idiots, Tahir Khan. And please take driving seriously. That thing you're driving can be a deadly weapon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!