Thursday, March 18, 2010

Those chickens sure get around!!

The weather was GORGEOUS here yesterday, something like 17C and sunny. (If you don't realize how unusual that is for this area at this time of year, check out March 2008!)

The chickens took full advantage of the weather, and were very reluctant to come inside last night. They have re-discovered the delights of the cornfield next to us, which no doubt contains lots of leftover niblets from last year's harvest. Near suppertime last night, I wanted to get the girls back in the coop but they weren't co-operating. Finally I lured them back with some premium birdseed, but it took a lot of coaxing. The setting sun helped!

Meanwhile Gordon was taking surreptitious photos. They're grainy because it was getting dark and I had to crank up the brightness in Photoshop.


The black things in the corn stubble to the left of me are happy chickens, scratching and totally ignoring me. Usually they come running when I call them, but not yesterday. Spring fever!



Me standing in the field as I ponder my options for rounding up recalcitrant poultry.


Tuesday was also a beautiful, warm sunny day. I looked out my office window late in the afternoon, and what did I see but Yolkie the hen:


Before you make cracks about her name, I should point out that my friend's 13-year-old daughter named her! The name suits her.



Lots of good chicken-y treats under that wood!



She has a wonderfully fluffy butt.


Spring arrives Saturday. I wonder if we will make it through March without snow? It would be quite remarkable if we did!

4 comments:

  1. Love that fluffy butt (something Yolkie and I have in common)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a yolk to me. Yuck, yuck, yuck. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need a herding dog for your chickens! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, fluffy butts are adorable!

    GOod one, Genny, I like chicken humour.

    Monika, Sophie sorts of herds them, but then she gets distracted eating their poop. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!