Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Is it breakfast? Dessert? Carcinogenic?

When Happy Wombat Boy visited this weekend, he brought us very special gifts...

Yep, that's a chocolate bar with bacon in it! This is the milk chocolate version. We also received a dark chocolate bar, which was immediately hoovered up by Gordon. I can't even find the spent packaging. Obviously my husband is quite fond of chocolate-covered pork..uh, wait, nevermind, that came out sounding ALL WRONG.

My initial reaction was a mix of "EEEYUW!" and "Wow, two great tastes that might go great together!" After hemming and hawing for a couple of days, it was time for the taste test.

Result?

Pretty yummy! The package describes it as containing "applewood smoked bacon", "alderwood smoked salt" and "deep milk chocolate." To me it tasted like chocolate with bits of salty taffy inside, somewhat like a savoury Skor or Heath bar. I had envisioned the bacon as one giant coated slice, but in fact it's a regular-looking chocolate bar with bacon bits sprinkled throughout.

This is not helping me get off bacon. I don't eat a lot of meat, and when I do it's usually fish or chicken, but God help me, I have a terrible weakness for bacon.


The back of the box had the most elaborate, not to mention sexy, write-up I have ever seen for a chocolate bar: "Rub your thumb over the chocolate bar to release the aromas of smoked applewood bacon flirting with deep milk chocolate. Snap off just a tiny piece and place it in your mouth, let the lust of salt and sweet coat your tongue." I'm a little confused: am I supposed to eat the chocolate bar, or make out with it?

Plus the package practically contains the CV of the inventor, who evidently worked with the great Adria brothers of El Bulli. (Me, I work with the great Farting Dogs of Apple Hill.) Who the hell are the Adria brothers of El Bulli, and why don't I know that already?

If you want to learn more about Mo's Bacon Bar, you can visit the chocolatier's website. Don't worry, this is not me being paid to plug something nonchalantly on my blog, like those movie stars who earn $10,000 per Tweet for lame diet products and such. Happy Wombat Boy just happened to bring this stuff along to our place, and how could I not share chocolate-covered bacon with my loyal readers? (Well, except for the vegetarians and vegans, whose ranks I really ought to join.)

Get out there and take a chocolate-covered bacon bar on a date!


16 comments:

  1. El Bulli is a famous restaurant in Spain, It is consistently voted the best place for prime vittles in the world...Hiho

    Bacon chocolate? THat really is a strange mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd love that. Two of my favourites flavours: bacon and chocolate. Now why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say that chocolate is better than sex. Looks like you get to have a bit of both with Mo's Bacon Bar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure that I want to lust after a chocolate-covered bacon bar...but then again I've been known to mix chocolate, cheese and sambol (a spicy coconut dish we have here) together, so we might hit it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martine and I picked up a similar bacon/chocolate bar at Whole Foods in New York last spring. I knew right away it would be awesome. Chocolate and grease always go well together! (Think chocolate and greasy salt & pepper potato chips!)

    Mmmm mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jams, thanks for enlightening me. I need ot get out more!! :) Have you been there, or been to Spain?

    Ronna, I'll save you a piece for the 13th!

    Paula, I believe you've hit the nail on the head there.

    Sue, I've heard of chocolate with chili, so chocolate with sambol I get (and I LOVE sambol, not that I've had any since I was in SL but oh my, I just adored it!). But cheese? Hmmmmmm!

    Blork, have you tried chocolate-covered potato chips? Someone gave me those once and they weren't bad at all, although I'm sure my arteries were less than pleased.

    The bacon bar, I have to admit, is pretty tasty. I just need to get past the "ick" factor. It's definitely better than chocolate-covered crickets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny thing.
    I learned about El Bulli from a link from in blog Knatolee "The Amateur Gourmet". Click on it, and then Restaurant reviews to discover his experience of El Bulli.

    Don't know if I am into Bacon & chocolate, but I do love the combo of salty chips and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mission statement, in order of irrelevance:

    1. I'm pissed off.

    2. That Happy Wombat Boy actually physically showed up in your own home.

    3. Bearing gifts.

    4. Don't Wombat Boys go hunting wallabies in Kookaburra, New South Wales, most of the time? Did you have my Australian Jungle Fighter GI Joe to defend the plantation against his hostiles?

    5. All purveyors, even mind-traitors, of any combination of chocolate and bacon . . . well, let's just say "RAUS! RAUS! RAUS!"

    6. Uhh . . . what he said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And FURTHERMORE . . .

    If I EVER see a mention such as "Chocolate-covered potato chips" I will personally make the trek all the way to your tiny dwelling and vomit on your keyboard.

    -_)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I have never imagined a chocolate covered bacon bar. All I can say is "wow". It sounds good, I think. I would try it if Wombat Boy gave me one, too. I don't really eat pork, except for bacon once in a blue moon. I actually love bacon, but try not to admit it to myself. And the sexy write-up on the back...interesting. Maybe you're supposed to eat it/read about it when you're making out with someone to help get the mood going??? Lol!
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bachoc does sound temptating. And like Oscar I am convinced that the only way to get rid of temptations is yielding to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chef Nick... the chips and chocolate are not eaten at the same time. Alternating savory and sweet enhances the flavors.

    But I have eaten and made chocolate covered pretzels, which were a hit!

    A chacun son goût, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elisabeth, an American friend actually gave me a bag of chocolate-covered potato chips, and they weren't bad! They also WEREN'T HEALTHY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick, warn me before you visit so that I can arm the chickens and cover my keyboard with plastic wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynn, it pains me to admit how much I love bacon. Me, the tofu-eating, organic, whole-grain dork. I do try to get nitrate-free bacon from local sources, but it's still... bacon. Mmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sean, I always did like Oscar! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!