Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Poor Julius...

I realized that I forgot to include one of my cards in my Art Trading Card post the other day, so here you go, in honour of Julius.

Poor Julius! I had to rush him off to the vet last night, and he was admitted. I took him to the vet about ten days ago when his face swelled up on one side. The vet thought it might be an insect bite and so administered antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, and told me that the swelling should go down. If it didn't, I was to bring him back for further investigation.

The swelling did go down, but over this past weekend it started up again. We planned to take Julius to the vet today, but his face continued to swell yesterday and his demeanour changed markedly, so I got him into the clinic just after the vet office closed. One of the vets kindly waited for me instead of charging me after-hours emergency fees.

Poor Julius was running a bit of a temperature. The vet thinks J most likely has an abscess at the root of his tooth (you can't actually see anything amiss in his mouth), so he's having an extraction today. It is possible something more dire is going on but the signs all point to dental issues, so fingers crossed that the dental surgery will do the trick. If you could spare a good thought for my orange kitty today, that would be great. He's ten years old and a very good kitty! I could tell he was not feeling well last night and was in pain, so I just want him to be back to his normal self asap. We miss our fluffy orange boy!

14 comments:

  1. Poor Julius... my thoughts are going out to him, so that he will be back to his old self quickly.
    Get better quickly Julius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Julius. Lots of good thought going his way. I hate it when my kitties are out of sorts because they can't tell me whats wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Julius..., I hope he gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:18 am

    Oh, no! Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Julius' quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fingers are crossed for J.K. Please keep us posted on his condition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Mr. Fluffy -- it IS dental. He has root ("neck") lesions on a couple of teeth and will be having some extractions. Poor guy... our old cat Mashka suffered from this, even though I understand it's not particularly common. I'm just glad he'll be okay and it's not some honking tumour or something. Thanks for all the good thoughts. I get very attached to my pets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy they discovered the problem. He's such a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, poor Julius. Sending loads of zen that he's feeling better soon. He's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor baby..so glad it's not something more serious. Get better Julius!(lay off the sweets)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ronna, Ginny and Vicki, thanks! The poor cat had three of his canine teeth yanked this afternoon, and is coming home tomorrow. He's got a drain sewn in that has to be removed in a few days. I feel bad that he was suffering needlessly. I had been watching him like a hawk since I first took him to the vet for the swelling, but it was only yesterday that things spiralled downhill. I'm sure he was doing a great job of hiding his pain and discomfort. :(

    Time to start brushing the cats' teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:06 pm

    So glad it wasn't something more serious, although scary enough as it is. You did the right thing in getting him into the vet's quickly when you determined the swelling wasn't just from an insect bite anymore. Speaking as a former dental hygienist, this stuff happens to humans pretty often too. It's so hard when pets get sick because they can't tell you where it hurts! Get well soon, Julius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope poor Julius is doing alright and is on his way to recovery. All the best to him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to read in your comments that Julius came through his surgery O.K. and amends to be on the mend. I'm sure he'll be over the moon to be back at home. Maximus and I send warmest get well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. TTPT, Paula and Monika, thank you from Mr. Fluffy! He's doing very well, as bad as he looks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!