Friday, May 01, 2015

Rudy

So, did I mention that Rosie is now Rudy? We named him after our fav character in the British TV series, Misfits.  Our other male pig is name Luther after the lead character (played Idris Elba, le sigh!) in the British show of the same name.

ANYWAY! Little Rudy is being neutered on Tuesday. Think good thoughts for him. The vet has special anaesthesia used for pot-bellied pigs.

He's not quite as skinny as he looks in the following photos. The vet thought his weight was fine for his age, but I'd like to see him fill out a bit! These pics really do make him look bonier than he is in person. 

And poor Rudy! When he was dumped in a ditch in February (and the temps were below -20C!) he apparently suffered frostbite (not surprisingly) to his ears and tail, which is why he has lost the black pigmentation in those areas. I thought things were okay, but then on Wednesday, the end of his tail dropped off!!


Poor little man!!


I just think that's the saddest thing.

He's fine and it was a clean break, so to speak, but he'll never have that cute little tuft of hair on the end of the tail that my other pigs have. The end obviously had just necrotized due to the frostbite, and took a couple of months to fall off.



I could kill the idiot who tossed this sweet little guy in a ditch on a bitter winter day. We DO have an animal shelter Rudy could easily have been taken to. Since he was dumped close to the 401 (major highway), I'm wondering if some idiot from Montreal or Ottawa drove out to "set him free" in the country! I'm so grateful for the kind police officer who took the time to stop, put Rudy in his cruiser, and take him to the Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry OSPCA.

He's super sweet, this little guy. He and the other pigs have now all had their shots for deworming/pig mange and are running around outside, so these porkers...


...should soon shed a bit of their, ahem, winter weight!

Have a great weekend.

20 comments:

  1. That's quite a passel of pigs you have there! It's good to see everyone out enjoying the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudy still has a baby face..or is it just me thinking that? He looks stripy too,and his tail gives him character!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he does!! I don't think he's much more than maybe 6 months old at this point. He's very sweet!

      Delete
  3. Fine looking piggies. What more can we say, except thank you, Natalie; they will never know their good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, they are a pleasure to have around. Endless amusement!

      Delete
  4. Come Tuesday he'll be missing something a bit more significant than the end of his tail, but all in a good cause and in his best interests, of course.

    Sometimes I think life might be a lot easier for most of use men if we were neutered early all (all in our best interests, of course),

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that some of that tail will grow back on. It's surprising Rudy is so good natured after such treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's surprisingly trusting of people after all that. However, I doubt he'll ever let the vet near him again!!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10:46 pm

    I hope there's a special place in hell for people who dump animals on the roadside. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Rudy. He's cute. Will you keep him?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once he gets neutered he's likely to gain some weight, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping! I'm feeding him lots of food. Of course, my other pigs are a bit too porky after a long winter of lounging about in the straw, eating bonbons! ;)

      Delete
  9. Yes, what the above poster said. Maybe his surgery will alter his metabolism a bit. Bless the officer that found him and saved him..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate people that do things like that to animals makes me angry and sick to my stomach ! The good thing is we all know that Rudy will be loved and very well cared for there with you all and that's the happy ending to his story . Lovely photos ! Give Rudy and extra treat from us after the ahem operation . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kindness is wonderful. Too bad about his tail. Love his name. It was my Dad's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that is so nice!I love the name Rudy!

      Delete
  12. Hahhaha excellent!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!