Thursday, September 08, 2011

Mum and Dad


My parents' wedding day, 1953 - Purley, Surrey, England.


Today marks 19 years since my Dad died, and 14 years since my Mum died. Hard to believe it has been so long. Very convenient of them to depart on the same day, five years apart!

I miss them both. My relationship with my mother was difficult, but on this day I like to think of the happy things we did together, like when she taught me to make daisy chains as a child.

My Dad had a fabulous sense of humour and was always my biggest fan. It's hard not to have him around.



I like this photo. From left to right, my paternal grandfather, paternal grandmother, uncle John (Dad's older brother, in back), my parents, my maternal great-grandmother and my maternal grandfather. My mother's Mum died in four years before the wedding and so isn't in the photo.

Here's to my parents. I'm glad they brought me into the world.

PS: My mother made her wedding dress. She was a talented dressmaker and also made MY wedding dress!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:25 pm

    What a lovely couple. And what a lovely wedding dress! Your mum was indeed a gifted dressmaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these old black and whites. This is really a great photo of the wedding group. I don't have a photo of my parents' wedding. I wish I did. I see you in your mom. She was really beautiful and your dad a very handsome guy. Enjoy your memories. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x4

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post. You have so many old photos of your family, you are very lucky in that regard.

    I'm glad your parents brought you into this world too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:33 pm

    Such a beautiful tribute to your parents. It's also wonderful that you had a close relationship with your Dad and that you focus on the good memories with your Mom. I learn much from you, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. Your mom was lovely and what a dress! Hard losing your parents. I know how you feel and miss mine every day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the photos of your folks. Of course it made me think of mine - which is always a good think.

    Love the black and whites.....people looked so classy in that particular era.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your parents were very good looking. It's hard when parents leave this world and we miss them so. Makes the memories more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm . . . I passed many years of my life in Surrey. And I can't say they were good ones . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. TTPT, she did well with that! She started sewing when she was very young. she spent the last several years of her life running a dressmaking business from her home. She did a LOT of wedding gowns!

    Deb, I love B & W photography too. It's too bad you don't have your parents' wedding pics.

    Paula, I got all the pics being as I was an only child! My Mum has a particularly good collection. Her family was much better off than my Dad's.

    COg Dis, thank you for that. :)

    Ronna, it's hard to believe they have been gone so long. I envy people whose parents live into their 90s! (well, the ones with reasonably good health, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Musical Gardener, I still love black and white photography. Glad you liked the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pilgrim, thank you! I try to focus on the good memories and hope we'll see each other again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chef Nick, you get around!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!