Saturday, September 22, 2007

Greetings from the farm!

Well, I've had requests (okay, one request, from Nancy in Mexico) to get on with it and update my blog. So at great personal expense (yes, I'm doing this instead of unpacking a box), I bring to you: our driveway on garbage day last Wednesday. You might have to click on the photo to enlarge it to see this detail, but just to the left of the end of a driveway, there is a tiny beige dot. That would be our garbage can. (The bigger white thing is the sign for our farm, kindly left by the previous owners.)


Gordon put the can in the back of our Mazda, with the hatchback open and the can poking out. Time for a pick-up truck! I needed binoculars to check that the can was emptied later, and the lid was on the ground. HAHAHAHA!

The corn to the right is on land that belongs to our as-yet-un-met neighbour, who lives kitty-corner across the street. All we can see of their place is their silos. The land on the left is all ours, baby. Most of our land is planted in soybeans destined for tofu (it's rented out to another farmer for the time being.) Oh wait, I already mentioned the tofu in the last post. Whaddaya want, I have a middle-aged brain.

And here is the FIRST FARM PIZZA:


Shrimp, red pepper, black olive tapenade, red onions and mozzarella. And I baked it in this baby:


MY NEW CONVECTION OVEN! With bread-proofing feature! I have died and gone to heaven! I love my stove, I love my new bottom-mount-freezer fridge, I love my new KING SIZE bed, I love my new kitchen, I love my new house, I love my barn and granary and garage, and I love my new farm!! I am overwhelmed with love. Feel the love, baby. Oh, well, I guess that should be "our" not "my", since Gordon owns it too. Fine, I'll concede that.

Okay, so garbage and ovens. Not the most titillating blog entry, BUT yesterday I did see about THIRTY wild turkeys, eight of which were babies, sauntering past the barn to the field. And across the street there is a migratory bird sanctuary, so among other things, we are seeing and hearing a lot of Canada geese.

Oh yeah, and there are plenty o' chipmunks around the yard that will soon be eating out of my hand. Bring it on! Bring it on!

So, Nancy, are ya HAPPY now?

13 comments:

  1. WHERE'S THE DOG?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:38 am

    Mo...damn one track mind :DD

    KNATTY!!! Yes, I am happy for the time-being. But when this farm-fix wears off I will be demanding more. hahahah ... you need to put an "on vacation" sign on the blog while you're gone. "gone fishing" :))

    I CANNOT believe that is your DRIVEWAY!!!! Holeeeeeee COW! Dog that is soooooo cool!

    The new stove is to DIE for. ..the pizza also. YUM.

    So excellent. I want you to hurry up and get back from your trip so we can hear more about the FARM!!!

    Your fans are waiting...taptaptap.

    :D nk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:16 am

    Visit. Need visit. now. Moggy :-) When are you getting a dog? No farm is a farm without a dog. Or a couple of dogs. Or 3 dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:28 pm

    I think that new stoves and refrigerators are very exciting blog entries, especially since I am a recent appliance buyer too! LOL! I find myself cooking a lot now. Need recipe for yummy pizza dough please.

    I LOVE this blog entry. What a looooong driveway you have, which to me means lots and lots of privacy and time listening to and watching wildlife. Can't wait to see and hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:31 pm

    Oh my, you do sound profoundly happy! Well, I'd say it's overdue and you're well entitled, based on your patience if nothing else.

    May you and Gordon (and the cats and soon to be dogs, of course) have nothing but happy days, and many, many of them, on The Farm.

    lK

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind of a farm has garbage pickup??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy that you're so happy! I can't wait to hear all your adventures--and see what kind of dog you get!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh for CRYIN' OUT LOUD!! The dog is coming after I get back from my trip to England/Scotland! Calm down, people!

    Shona, we live in wondrous South Glengarry where the garbage and recycling pick-up is free, free, freeeeee! Bizarre, no?

    And Genny, I'll get that pizza dough recipe off to you asap. I made a note to myself to do that today.

    Farmer Knatolee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:22 pm

    DOGGIE. NEED DOGGIE. BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK WAG WAG WAG WAG WAGGGIE WAGGGGGIIIIIEEEEE

    Moggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:53 pm

    Congratulations on surviving the packing/unpacking. Do you have goats yet? Live long and prosper, farmergurl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:57 am

    Can I come work for you? Man...what a beutiful place...I'm in awe of all that farmland...and that stove!

    So...where can I buy the tofu that gets made out your soybeans? I try to buy local, but I love the idea of being able to say "The soybeans that made this Tofu came from my friend Natalies' farm!" Cool, no?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kewl Pnat!! I'm coming to visit you on the way up to visit my other blogger friend in PEI. I'll stay in the barn if need be but you'd better have a dog or two to keep me warm. We Floridians have very thin skin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh good, Robin. Stop and see me on the way up and take me along! You'd love New Bern. Lots of water and wildlife. We live smack in the middle of two rivers here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!