Friday, March 26, 2021

Finding time for art

 I constantly struggle with balance in my life... I tend to do the things that scream out at me for attention, not necessarily the things that are good for my soul. To that end, I have really been trying to make time for art and poetry (although lately I have been struggling with poems... I have a terrible writer's block at the moment. This too shall pass!)

I started painting in acrylics in 2018 after taking a fun pet portrait class at a local studio. I had previously done a lot of drawing with coloured pencil, and I used to love using water colours and chalk pastels. But I needed some practice with acrylic technique. 

I've been having a blast with it, and of course I love painting animals! As much as I adore coloured pencils, and building up layer upon layer, the acrylic painting go MUCH faster and I find I am a lot looser with them!




Our Maremma dog Monty




Cat portrait I did for the OSPCA's "Portraits for Paws" fundraiser



My barn helper Joseanne's lovely horse Cookie



Otis



Sweet senior girl Enya

What I really love about painting is that I get into that "flow" state where I don't even notice the passing of time. I am so absorbed by what I'm doing that two hours will fly by, and suddenly the cats are at my feet harassing me for supper. I always feel so much better after spending some time on my art. It's like when I ride my horse; I am always in the present moment, completely involved in doing something I love. (Well, sometimes I'm completely involved in a battle of wills with my horse, but you get the idea.)

Here's to spending more time painting and less time doing mindless chores! 
Have a great weekend.



9 comments:

  1. Yes, here's to spending more time painting. The portraits are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work, and very relaxing, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing Art is the best way for me to meditate... the time flies by without notice when you're in the zone. Keep it up! It's good for the body, mind, and soul... and you are very good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very nice paintings. Very impressive. And it is good to hear from you on the blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all beautiful. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having read the previous entry, I am glad to see your paintings, Knatolee. And I am looking forward to see you painting with words again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're brave and very talented! Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!