Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Eugenia's back on her feet!


Look who's out and about after surviving a fox attack three weeks ago!


Yep, it's Eugenia the mama duck!



She seems very happy to be out of her cage, and is still keeping a wary eye on me. I took off her splint and while her leg is still a bit swollen, she is walking on it (with a bit of a limp). The bite from the fox has healed up very nicely.


She and her son Hannibal hung out together in the sunshine yesterday.


Here's her healing leg. The whitish spot is where the scab fell off. She was bitten there, and the break in her leg was there too,



I don't know what Hannibal is saying to his Mama here, but they both look happy.

Eugenia has flown over the fence for two days in a row. We keep depositing her back in the run. We have to put up the electric netted fence as a second line of defence outside the run, to discourage the fox and other predators, since Mama seems to have a bit of  a death wish!

Here is the splint I made from a yogurt container and some padding...





It bends at the "ankle" joint.

I'm hoping Eugenia will continue her recovery and eventually lose the limp, but overall I am very happy with how things have turned out. Thanks for all the advice and good wishes you gave us!






26 comments:

  1. She is one lucky duck who does not learn her lessons :) Glad she is all better. Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll be the death of me! SHe throws all caution to the wind.

      Delete
  2. You did a brilliant job there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I was pretty worried I would totally botch the job.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic news and well done, it's not easy to keep a cool head when they are injured....she looks great!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been good in an emergency, but without the internet, I probably would have been in trouble on this one!

      Delete
  5. Here's hoping she recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still limping but out and about all day and seemed quite happy, which is a relief. I am very glad she didn't get any apparent infection from the bite.

      Delete
  6. Darn, there goes my roasted Duck a la charming Willie.:-)

    Great Job,Nat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to settle for Omelette a la charming Willie!

      Delete
  7. Which all goes to show,"You can't keep a good duck down."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should get an honorary vet certificate. That splint is amazing. Glad Eugenia is healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to think I should go to vet school to save myself all this agony! ;) I wanted to be a vet for a whole six months in grade 9.

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness she's back on her feet - there's no sight more tragic than a duck in a little wheelchair (especially when they wheel it into the pond shallows for a paddle about) ...

    Seriously though, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus in winter i'd need snowtires for the wheel chair and so on... it would get very complicated!!

      Delete
  10. You made a great job of that splint. I'm glad she's back on her feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, so relieved. Now I just want to keep her from flying back into the mouth of the fox!

      My dogs are USELESS guardians. I need a llama. And a donkey.

      Delete
  11. Glad Eugenia is back out with the other ducks.
    You are the duck whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nat
    ducks dont recover very well as you know
    well, well, done on this case
    u are a star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you John. I will be pissed if she flies out again and gets eaten. But I did my best. It makes me happy to see her walking on her leg, even if she's a bit wobbly. She was dragging the leg behind her the day it happened.

      Delete
  13. Hey Nat, well done on the splint making .....Eugenia is one lucky ducky to have you looking after her.......

    Hopefully Mr. Fox will stay well away and leave your ducks in peace....

    Enjoy the Easter break...

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Evlyn...you should BE a vet. So much caring for the critters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!