Monday, October 22, 2007

Bath - the place, not the thing you soak in

Hmm.... I am going to have to break up the Bath section a bit.

We visited the World Heritage city of Bath, so named because of its ancient baths, well-enjoyed by the Romans. Well, I'm not sure if that's the exact reason or not; the Romans did build the "baths" but who knows what happened before them!

Jane Austen lived here, and she set Northanger Abbey and Persuasion in Bath.

But back to Phyllis, feigning shock at a naked ancient Roman (who is looking remarkably well-preserved, no? The Roman, I mean. Although Phyllis is also remarkably well-preserved!):



Here's the main bath. The statues around the top were added in the 1800's. The tourists are circa 2007:


The water is hot, healing and smelly.


Here's another shot, closer to the ground. The reddish line around the wall marks where the water level used to be:



Here's a section of Roman mosaic floor. I am a big fan of mosaics:



This is the Cross Bath, now a part of the Thermae Spa (where Phyllis and I indulged in a rooftop swim, followed by steam and foot baths!) I've heard various explanations for it being calling the Cross Bath (read some here). Our very knowledgeable volunteer guide said that there used to be a cross there, erected by an infertile Queen who got preggars after swimming in the water. Yes, I forget which Queen and am too lazy to look it up!



This is the entrance to the main baths, pictured at the start of this entry:



And now for Bath Abbey, (aka St. Peter's Abbey) really one of my favourite churches in England, architecturally-speaking. A splendid example of perpendicular gothic architecture (thank you, Wikipedia!)

Those are angels climbing up ladders to Heaven on either side of the main window/door:




Just a sampling of the spectacular stonework ceiling:




No, I can't remember whose memorial this is. Anyone? Anyone? ANYONE? Anyone at all?


Read more about the amazing Abbey here. I dare you to step into the Abbey and not be moved, religious or not (and I am NOT religious!)


And now to close this entry, photos of me and Phyllis with our favourite things.

For me, a good cuppa tea (oh Gordon, OF COURSE I love you more than tea. That goes without saying!):



For Phyllis, her own personal love monkey, Colin Firth. (Please wipe the drool off you chin, Phyllis.) Too bad the love is thus far unrequited. Colin, if you're reading this, do get in touch!


More tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. When we went to Bath, they told us that lovely green color of the water was due, in part, to its high lead content. So I hope you didn't drink any! But we loved our afternoon in Bath and hope to revisit some day for a longer time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands off, Phyllis... I saw him first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:49 am

    Okay, Greg, you can have him. I think he's a little old for me. But Colin Firth is ALL MINE, got it?

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, on second thought you can have Colin. Just leave me Mr. Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:33 am

    NO WAY IN HELL! Mine, all mine. Nat, how many photos of me with Colin Firth do you have?

    However, Greg, you might be interested in this:

    http://www.signals.com/signals/T-Shirts-Sweatshirts_1GA/Item_I-Love-Mr-Darcy-Shirts_HD5171G_ps_cti-1GA.html

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:32 pm

    OK do I get a prize? The monument is. "...and the enormous monument to Lady Waller, wife of Sir William Waller, designed (it says on the note) by Epiphanius Evesham. The Guide says that despite the statues of both of the couple, he was buried elsewhere (Tothill St Chapel, Westminster), which is why the right plaque behind them is empty. A massive monument, he reclining, looking down at her lying body, head raised on two pillows. Children at head and foot. The whole ensemble within a Greek temple structure, with four black Corinthian pillars, two reclining girls mourning, and standing or walking angels, above, flanking the very complicated coat of arms, bedecked with various wreaths. A splendrous conception of black and coloured marbles" http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speel/place/bathabbey.htm.

    It IS really awesome ... the whole bath abbey is incredible. I LOVE those places.

    nk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!