Sunday, March 04, 2012

Sweet Mexico

Mexicans are serious about their sweets and baking! I think one of the reasons we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites again was because of this world of wonder across the street:


The Pasteleria Madrid. Gordon would like them to set up an outlet in Apple Hill!



Mexican bakeries are amazing. You grab a platter and tongs, and walk around choosing from what seems like miles and miles of baked treats.


Cakes!


Sugary goodness!


All sorts of gelatinous goodies.


Pastries.


Cookies, doughnuts, muffins, more cakes...


More cakes...


...and more cakes!


Goodies in the window.


When your platter is heaped with goodies, you line up at the check-out to pay for your haul. By Canadian standards, it's all dirt-cheap.


I had the muffin and the coconut doughnut. Gordon had the palmier, fruit pastry, and other muffin! We were here at least three times in the five nights we stayed in Mexico City.

Mexico is also know for its lovely dulcerías, or candy stores. We visited a particularly wonderful example, the Dulcería de Celaya:


This place has been in business for over 125 years, and moved to its current location around 1900. Stepping into the store is like stepping back in time apart from that American Express card!


Little marzipan animals.



Fruity candy concoctions!


A pretty display in the front window.


Harlequins.


"Nut jam"



Looking out through the window.

Yep, Mexico is a very sweet place to visit!

If you want to see our visit to the Pastelería in 2010, scroll down towards the end of this post!



23 comments:

  1. I think I've had enough sugar for the day just looking at this. YET....off to celebrate a birthday and have cake. :) Enjoying your photos, that's for sure. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIven all the diabetes in my family, I try to restrain myself. But I did have some VERY good blueberry pie last night. I hear it cures the common cold!

      Delete
  2. Holy smoke! I've never seen such eye-popping sugary decadence! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived there, I'd weigh 400 lbs. That said, I'd also be walking more, so perhaps only 300 lbs...

      Delete
  3. It's a little known fact that vacation food is calorie free.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell that to my waistline! LOL!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:21 pm

    I hear the occasional nutrionally-void sweet increases one's metabolism.

    (That's my story and I'm sticking to it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I LIKE the way you think!!!

      Delete
  5. It makes me drool and makes my teeth hurt just looking at all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THere just wasn't enough time to sample it all!!!

      Delete
  6. You really know how to make somebody mes up their computer from drool. What yummy looking stuff. Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, sorry about that. If it makes you feel better, there's drool on my keyboard too!

      Delete
  7. Aaaahhh, a Diabetic's paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, we'll have to get you the Splenda versions! ;)

      Delete
  8. Mmm, Pasteleria Madrid looks like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn. I am salivating all over my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to keep a napkin handy when reading this blog! :)

      Delete
  10. What amazing-looking goodies! Life is short. Sinful sweets like these are to be enjoyed while we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss my coconut doughnuts...

      Delete
  11. I like them all! And it was lovely to go to your 2010 trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GLad you enjoyed it, Claude. DId you ever look at the website for our 2005 Sri Lanka trip?

      http://www.grinninggeckodesign.com/SriLanka.htm

      Delete
    2. Oops, I meant 2006!

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!