Friday, March 23, 2012

Perambulating in the springtime

Today was my most active day in ages. I am finally starting to feel better after my not-fun time with walking pneumonia. I got sick four weeks ago today and it has been a real drag.  I was coughing much less today and decided to see how far I could walk. I ended up walking down our road and back for 4.2 km or 2.6 miles, then Gordon and I took the dogs for a walk later on. It felt great to be off my butt!

We are still having unseasonably warm weather in the 20s (celsius) but it's supposed to cool off a bit next week. I noticed that a crow has been breaking twigs off one of my lilac bushes, presumably to build a nest. We've had three crows visiting our garden and feeders all winter. I really like crows, especially having read several books about them. They are incredibly intelligent and inventive. I have watched them get more and more used to me over the winter. Now when I go out to fill the feeders, they just fly up into a nearby tree to keep an eye on me. At the beginning, they would disappear for hours or the rest of the day if I showed up!

I always talk to the crows to let them know they're welcome. If we had neighbours, they'd think I was crazy, but since the nearest house is about a kilometre away, I don't worry much about being overheard! That said, I can hear the guy at the place next to ours screaming at his dogs sometimes when he can't find them in his woods! Sound does carry across open fields.

Anyhoo, here are some pics...


I am not very good with trees, but this is a medium-sized maple outside our kitchen window.



Budding out already! It's early this year.



I don't usually take pics of our house from this angle. I walked diagonally across our front field (which usually still has snow on it at this time of year) to take this. The very tall tree is a tall old white spruce, of which I'm very fond. I wonder if the crows are building a nest there? I often see them hanging out in it. 


Took this almost at the edge of our property. The tree on the left sits alone in the middle of our front field, and do you think I can remember what type of tree it is? Uh, no. Maybe an ash of some kind?




This is one of our neighbours' farms down the road. He keeps beef cattle.



And our road. Not too much traffic this morning!

Have a happy weekend.



27 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better. My oldest daughter got something similar and was she sick. Walking feels wonderful after a long illness. And what a beautiful property you have to call home. I expect you will someday paint a picture of your homestead. How's the duck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does drag on and on!!

      Hmm, I should paint a pic of the homestead. I may paint the actual house first. We would like to get board and batten siding at some point.

      Mama duck is doing well! update in Saturday's post.

      Delete
  2. I love crows and have had the pleasure of rehabbing a few. They nest in evergreens so you just may be in luck!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are always hanging around so I will have to see if I can spot their nest!

      Delete
  3. I forgot to mention that Gary had a pet crow that he nursed back to health for awhile. He could tell you some funny stories. It would fly up their road (they lived in the country in Wellesley, Ontario near Waterloo) and meet their car and ride home on the hood. It stayed around for a long time. Friggin' thing was so smart. I do hope they hang around your trees. I'm sure you will enjoy them. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat is the best story, the crow riding home on the car hood! Love it!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:09 pm

    It's unseasonably warm here too. Tree pollen is high and both Mike and I are having more issues with allergies than usual. But I'm loving the warm weather. So glad you're starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. it would suck to have pollen allergies right now. Hope that clears up for you very soon!!!

      Delete
  5. We will have to agree to disagree on crows. I don't like crows because they destroy a tremendous number of songbird nests. For the last five years I have seen the crows eat the young robins in my yard. So I'll send you all my crows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would you like in return? I could send you a couple of randy drakes! ;))

      Delete
  6. Ravens are considered the most itelligent of animals. Crows are of course next in line. They can make very loyal friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get ravens here too but I don't see them as often as crows. I like them all!

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear you have been so unwell Natalie. Glad you are on the mend : ) We have had some lovely Spring days here in Scotland and it really lifts the spirits and gets us all outside doesn't it! Gives us more to blog about too : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aileen! I hope I am wel on the road to recovery. I am a very impatient patient.

      Glad you are having some nice spring weather across the pond. Any daffodils yet?

      Delete
    2. Yes! Loads up and down the edges of the roads and farnm tracks. Picked a big huge bunch for our kitchen table last saturday but need to replace them. I enjoy the picking them as much as having them in the house : )

      Delete
  8. Have a happy weekend, too and we are glad, you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WIllie and Sue and DOuble Wide and the Other Wide! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi there !
    Now I think we have read all the post´s that we missed when my mom was away on her trip to Rome in Italy with her best friend. Me and "dad" stayed home and just chilled out like boy´s can ;-)
    Have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOw, your Mom was very lucky to have a trip to Rome! I bet you had a nice time with Dad, though. :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful land! I'm so relieved that you're feeling better. I think you still need a medical follow up. You had a nasty chest congestion and persistent, deep cough. Make sure you get rid of that cough permanently. Meanwhile, enjoy talking to the fantastic crows. Much better than me talking to the idiots on TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cough comes back to visit every day for a while. I wish it would hit the road permanently!

      And I completely agree with you about crows being better than TV!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you are feeling better and nice pictures. Have a great weekend.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:48 pm

    Glad you're feeling better. I miss the farm country (Iowa and Kansas) although I do like the Texas Hill Country in the Spring. Not much farming around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But lots of beautiful bluebonnets! :)

      Delete
  13. Good to hear you are feeling better and getting out and about. Things are in bloom over here too and it's way to early. My Magnolia tree is blossoming as are my hostas. We are going to have to cover them this week with the cooler temps. Never much traffic around here either.

    P.S. I talk to the blue jays when I feed them and to my dog when we are out walking...just him and I. Think I need more human friends? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe magnolias are blossoming right now. It's nutty! And socold today.

      I'm glad I'm not the only one talking to the birds...

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!