Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Spring is sprunging...

The bees were busy buzzing about today...



I still have a (Mexican) code in my node. Actually, it seems to have moved into my ears, but at least I felt well enough to go outside to videotape bees and photograph ducks!



Today set some temperature record. I think it finally made it to 14C. Given that it was something like -17C yesterday morning, it has warmed up a lot. The honeybees were all in a frenzy!


Honeybees will not defecate in the hive. During the winter, they will make short "cleansing flights" on days when it's warm enough (usually above the freezing mark.) Today there was an abundance of cleansing flights, and an abundance of bee poop...


The snow in front of the hives is dotted with yellow bee droppings!

Meanwhile, down in the barn, the ducks have been pairing off and making whoopee. Warren and Squishy seemed to have formed a gay liaison, but that is JUST FINE! Unlike the Toronto Zoo, we are accepting of everybody on this farm, and will not be separating them à la Buddy and Pedro the penguins. Besides, with 17 Muscovy ducks who are essentially pets, never to be served à l'orange, we do not need a breeding programme!!!


Ronna-duck and her ... niece? ... enjoy the spring sunshine by the barn door.


Amy Winehouse, who is most definitely male (but in love with Warren), really does need a new name.




Moishe has lost the "yarmulke" marking that inspired his name. His head is pure white now and he's looking all grown-up! What a sexy caruncle! (Manly red doodah around beak and eyes)


Everybody is ready for spring!

Except me. I need to get some seed flats and soil mix and hook up the grow lights in the garage (for starting vegetables, not illegal substances!) 

And I am definitely NOT ready for the time change this weekend. What an exercise in stupidity that is, putting the clock ahead an hour. Augh!




24 comments:

  1. If you were to blog about the lives of your dogs, cats and that gekko, you'd have at least one reader - me. Glad to have added you to my list.
    StephenC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat's great Stephen! I enjoy your blog too. :) It always makes me hungry.

      Delete
  2. We have rescue pigeons, one (no longer with us) was (we were convinced)gay...not a problemio in this house..we are not lovers of the Teronna Zoo at all....lots of horror stories for those in the know.
    When do your bees officially come out of hiberation? There are some beehives in the local area, they love our apple trees!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, bees don't actually hiberate. They form a winter cluster in the hive that contracts when it gets colder and expands as it gets warmer. (The queen is safe and warm in the centre of it.) Then in spring they break cluster and start flying around (like today!) They'll be clustered back together tonight though! They keep the interior at a fairly toasty temperature (when they are raising brood, they bring it up to around 90F.) During the winter, they will nip outside to relieve themselves on warmer days. They also drag out their dead when the temps warm up.

      I have not been hearing much good about the T.O. Zoo lately.. :(

      Delete
    2. Thanks...I now know more about those wonderful creatures.
      Jane x

      Delete
  3. Didn't know you were into ducks bees and what not. I guess I'll keep reading and find out more as I go along.Bees are pretty interesting when you are able to produce your own honey from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, this will be my fourth season of beekeeping (first year was a bust!) Last year our splits failed We tried to increase to four hives, ended up back at two. We'll see what happens this year.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:57 pm

    Gosh... "I still have a (Mexican) code in my node."... was giving me problems until I realised what you meant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see everyone again. The sun just makes us all want to sing (or quack)and I am learning so much about chickens and ducks from you. It's very interesting. I'm a little on the fence with bees. I guess they just scare me. Sure love the honey, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it is my mission to get you to love honeybees as I do! :) I will work on that.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:18 pm

    Spring is my favorite season! Thank god the US Republican Party hasn't gotten wind of your gay ducks. They're not big on acceptance and diversity. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. NOr is OUR current government!

      Delete
  7. Meanwhile, Kirk Cameron appeared on Piers Morgan Tonight and called gay ducks "unnatural" and "only good for Peking duck recipes."

    I'M JOKING!

    In all seriousness, do Warren and Squishy just spend a lot of time together, or have they engaged in conjugal relations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

      Okay, I admit I haven't caught Warren and Squishy in the act. They just kind of snuggle by themselves. :) Neither of them seem very, er, sexually, er, charged... I guess they are both a bit submissive in the big duck order of things, and so they enjoy each other's companies. Maybe they are more like a couple of bachelor uncles.

      Or maybe they are more like Pedro and Buddy!!

      Still, anyone who says "homosexuality isn't natural" hasn't spent much time on a farm. ANimals have NO hang-ups about these things. We could learn a lot from them!

      Delete
  8. Manly Red Doo-Dad!!!! I wonder if my husband has one of those?
    Probably not...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing wrong with Amy Whinehouse for a male duck. If a boy can be named Sue, well, a male duck can be Amy!

    Always love your animal adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep calling him Amy. I don't think I can stop!

      Delete
  10. You have bees and I have snow. Nice pictures.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elna! Our snow is melting like crazy!

      Delete
  11. It still looks bloody cold xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!