Sunday, July 22, 2012

Walk to the river

A continuation of the photos from Friday!

It's a long walk down to the river for Tristan now, but he was happy to get there and take a dip. The water is VERY low, as you can see from all the aquatic plant growth.




I found this whacky bug on some wild yarrow. Anyone know what it is? I haven't had a chance to look it up yet!



I am not 100% certain but I think this is Heal-all (prunella vulgaris.)




The Beaudette River is incredibly dry. Sometimes you can kayak here. Not now!



Duckweed and other plants are multiplying rapidly in the newly-formed shallows.



But there are still some spots deep enough for a doggy dip!



I love it down here. I just wish there weren't so many mosquitoes, deerfly and blackfly. We have dreams of putting some sort of gazebo near the river, but it would have to be moveable, since this river breaks its banks and floods our back pasture every spring.



Arrowhead, but I'm not sure which variety.



I think this is a Green frog.



A deceased crayfish!



Another Green frog looking very black.



The ever-intrepid Sophie.



Lots of plant growth!



The Green frog again!




Tristan looooves the water.




Blue or False vervain (verbena hastata.)


Happy Sunday! I'm off to check on my bees.



17 comments:

  1. I love these photos. I just LOVE a stream. Can you take me there one day? Would be a great place to sketch, esp. with lots of bug dope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the walk. Your property is beautiful. Yes, a gazebo would be great. I think the A/C will be on again today as the temps are rising. I was really lovin' last weeks weather. Off to catsit.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely place. It seems your dogs love it as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place and so nice for your dogs to take a swim.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tour! I really loved the frogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good swim with the dogs. Kind of a neat way to show water plants and the riparian area. I hope you get some rain because it's not good to see a stream that low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a bit on Monday but not enough!!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely stream. Being near some water is so wonderful and so refreshing. The fact that such streams and ponds etc are threatened by this drought makes us appreciate them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful how much going for a walk with dogs enhances the experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true, and they encourage me to get out more. :)

      Delete
  9. Georgeous shot of the mystery bug on the yarrow.
    Love watching dogs enjoying the water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have lots of prunella vulgaris on the farm. I always thought it would be a great stage name for an exotic dancer. I'm a bit weird that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah! That would be an EXCELLENT exotic dancer name. In fact, maybe I should name one of the chicks Prunella!

      Delete
  11. I have a river at the back of my property and what works best is a kitchen tent. They are so light and easy to set up now and withstand the high winds that come off the river. It's not as pretty as a gazebo but it keeps the bugs at bay! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat's an excellent idea, and portable too. Just what I want!! THanks :)

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!