Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Inside the machine!

Guess where I was this morning?


Inside the combine harvester! Now, that may not be such a thrill for country folks, but for someone like me who grew up in deepest, darkest Scarborough (suburban Toronto, aka Scarberia), this was something very exciting!

I discovered that the combine has right hand drive. Perfect for you Brits!



There's a fire extinguisher on board.


And floor-to-ceiling windshield!


 The wheat is separated from the chaff as it goes up to the hopper. I had a good view through the rear window...





Blades up as we turn the corner!


Time to shoot the wheat into the trailer. When full, the combine holds six tons of wheat. Six tons! All separated and ready to go. And because it has been so dry here, the moisture levels, which are automatically measured as the wheat goes through the combine, were a perfect 12.5% or thereabouts. The wheat won't need to be air-dried in a silo.


Here's a pic I swiped from the internet of a team of horses pulling a wheat reaper sometime around 1900.


After that, of course, it had to go through a thresher! And no air conditioning on that machine, unlike on this one...


A/C and stereo in the cab, smart phone in the driver's hand, and a fully computerized on-board system, not to mention hydrostatic gears! This combine cost slightly less than our entire farm (86 acres plus house, barn, granary, and garage!)

 Andrew, the farmer who kindly let me into his cab, has been driving these things since he was 12. He patiently answered all my questions and I really enjoyed my time in the combine.


Off to harvest another field of wheat.


Here are more facts about wheat farming if you're interested!


16 comments:

  1. Haha - this reminds me of the time we sent the rookie reporter for a ride-along in a snow plow during the worst storm of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine the similarities! :)

      Delete
  2. I am totally, officially JEALOUS!!!
    Thanks for the 'olden days' pic...it really puts things into persepective.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so lucky to get a ride! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tour. For a city kid this must be mind bogging. My experience with combines is a long time ago..no cabs...just right out in the dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fabulous! I really love all the big farm machines.

      Delete
  4. Last time I drove a combine I did two things. I put wobbly edges on the field (rear wheel steering confused my brain mightily) and I almost set it alight when some of the belts began to slip ... So much for FiatAgri's finest! I love machinery like this - useful monsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! I'm sure I"d make a mess if I drove one, but I hope I wouldn't set it on fire!!!!! :0

      Delete
  5. Do they race those things? I think your JD might win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprisingly, they do:

      http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/events/2011-03/castle-combe-combine/

      I'd love to watch that!

      Delete
  6. I am SO jealous! What an experience!!
    This machine just begs to make crop circles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do doughnuts in a combine harvester!

      Delete
  7. I still can't get over how much farm equipment has changed - air conditioning and stereo - incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing, isn't it? And I guess it has gotten much more expensive as well!

      Delete
  8. Luxury combine harvesting! That's the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only way to do it! :)

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!