Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Our little slice of heaven

On Sunday, we took our kayaks out for an evening on nearby Loch Garry. What a beautiful outing!


After we launched our kayaks, we paddled through a channel lined with lily pads and bullrushes.


And a beaver lodge!



I have  always loved lily pad flowers!



There were some interesting cloud formations on Sunday.



Here comes my favourite kayaking partner!



Being out on the water is one of my favourite things in life. Growing up, we had a motorboat in Port Severn, on Georgian Bay. We would do the two-hour drive (one way) on most summer weekends. But I like kayaking even more than being in a large boat. You are so close to the water, and it's so peaceful.



Gordon got ahead of me because I spent so much time floating around, taking photos.



This is his gold-medallist Olympian pose.



"Loon" refers to the boat, not the man, although we did hear a loon calling right after we launched our boats.



You can get really close in two kayaks.



The sunset was gorgeous and the water was totally flat as we kayaked back in.




I am always happy in a kayak. It doesn't matter what kind of mood I was in when we left the house; everything drains away the minute I hit the water.


We are lucky to have this lovely little lake just ten minutes from our house.






And I brought my favourite cushion...


"Hand over the chocolate and no one will get hurt!"


I have a couple of stickers on my boat...


Gordon and I used to be in the Naval Reserve. This is the smallest vessel I've served on! ;)




We eventually had to come home. I am proud to say that I have learned how to back up our new trailer and managed to park it without hitting anything. And it only took about 15 steps! :)



There is a trail here managed by the Friends of Glengarry Trails.



This is a lot easier than putting them on top of our car, which is what we did until this year!



It was tough to go home.


Night night!


32 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try kayaking haven't gotten around to it yet. I know what you mean though about nature soothing no matter what kind of mood your in. The bird sanctuary does the same for me, though it's a half hour drive to get there I go as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, it's really easy and I LOVE it! I am useless at canoeing but I find kayaking great. That's the Long Sault Bird Sanctuary, right? I love that place.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. it was a beautiful evening.

      Delete
  3. Wow!
    I love this photos!
    What amazing ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous outing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And we are going to give up all this. Are we out of our mind?
    Nope, we are as happy as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, where you're going has its good points too!

      Delete
  6. oh you big pair of oudoorsy people you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't we just? And I have the hideous-looking hands to show it!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures. They look so peaceful and the beavernest so cute.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think kayaking sounds like hard work! It makes my arms and shoulders hurt to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's not that bad, especially if you just pick a small lake with placid water. Or you can just go at a slower place. :)

      Delete
  9. I am soooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Glad you had fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed your virtual trip!

      Delete
  10. We love to canoe
    splish......splosh......splish.....shcloooooop.....splish...aaaah!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I am so useless at canoeing. I'm much better at kayaking, No technique necessary, ha ha.

      Delete
  11. I love kayaking! Going this weekend actually. I want to take pictures but I'm clumsy and will probably drop my camera in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a waterproof camera! I can't wait to go out again. Hope to go again this weekend.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like an amazing way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to go down the St. Lawrence again, ahhhh!

      Delete
  13. Super trip[ and great photos. It makes it feel as if I was right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you didn't have to leave your chair! :)

      Delete
  14. What a great way to spend an evening. Peter and I used to canoe on the Ottawa River and I remember how lovely it was to go out and float around. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natalie,
    How coincidental to come upon this post! We're going kayaking tomorrow in the Elkhorn Slough here in California. Not quite the natural beauty of where you guys were, but there is great abundance of wildlife--otters, seals, sea lions, and all sorts of birds.

    Last year, after we got back on the dock, one of the otters got into one of our kayaks and promptly fell asleep. Apparently she was known by the kayak company. They had to designate one of the kayaks just for her to sleep in because she'd pee in it!!! I hope I'll see her again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would LOVE to see all that wildlife! Otters are among my favourite animals!! WHen we kayaked on our bay in Nova Scotia, we twice had minke whales surface right near us. Such a fantastic exerience.


      That kayak-loving otter sounds adorable! I checked out the ELkhorn SLough website. What a lovely place.

      Delete
  16. It looks like you both had a fabulous time - the peace and tranquility of the place really came through on the photographs. Congrats on mastering the trailer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine, although now I have to learn to do that parking manoeuvre in fewer than 15 steps. :)

      Delete
  17. So many lovely little spots around here. The world can be a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!