Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer walk

I took the doggies for a nice walk yesterday. The weather was beautiful; gone are the 35C temps and humidex in the 40s. Yesterday we had my idea of perfect summer weather: sunny and warm with a little breeze.

Sophie is getting white in the face, but that's okay; it matches the grey starting to take over my hair!


Sophie and Tristan turn 10 this fall.  I am considerably older! But maybe not in dog years.


The honeybees were out and about and I really like this shot of one of the girls on some wild parsnip:


Wild parsnip is considered a noxious weed and its sap can cause horrible blisters, but the bees love it. I have a friend who used to be a nurse (and I bet she's reading this! Hahaha!) who told me a story about a guy who went out and weed-whipped wild parsnip while wearing nothing but a Speedo. Let's just say he ended up in the hospital and was blistered in MANY places.


A happy bee! By the time a honeybee becomes a forager, she is nearing the end of her lifespan. Honeybees have various duties in the hive which change as they age. Becoming a field bee and going out to collect pollen and nectar is the last job a worker bee does. In summer, bees can live for about six weeks. Often they just wear out and die while out foraging. They're born, they work for the collective, then they die. No beach resort vacations and brelly drinks for them!


Humans are another story...


Tristan has really slowed down on walks. Yesterday we took a break halfway and I used him as a pillow.



He didn't seem to mind.


I found some wild black raspberries to snack on. Yum!



Tristan found them too. He and Sophie both love to eat raspberries off the bush.


Here's a pretty swamp milkweed...




And Spotted Jewelweed...


I swear that every year at this time, I take pictures of the same flowers and post them on my blog!


We are in a drought. It's dry, but not as bad as, say, Texas....




But the ground is dry and cracked and the soybeans and otebo beans are exactly thrilled. The local corn is definitely suffering and they are worrying about hay shortages this fall and winter, since many farmers may only be able to get one cut of hay instead of the usual two or three.



Even in our woodlot, the ground is bone dry.

Still, it looks like we might get some rain next week. Fingers crossed!
Have a happy weekend.



22 comments:

  1. Super photographic tour. You covered a lot of territory on your walk with the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A country walk is so much more fun with dogs. Fingers crossed you get the rain you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed you all the way. And I was very glad you stopped for a break. Thank you! We do need rain so badly also in Toronto. The little bit of land I see (here and there) is all cracked up too. And the public gardens'flowers look pitiful. Not enough watering done. I'm so moved by that dear little bee working her butt out, and gone in 6 weeks. Now I'll always think about her when I enjoy honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope we all get more rain soon! And I'm grateful bees give us yummy honey.

      Delete
  4. So cute and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved this walk round with you.
    Glad you've got nicer weather, now you just need the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gt some MOnday but we need more! Hope it has dried out across the pond.

      Delete
  6. I used to find the occasional dead bee when I weeded the little flower bed at work. I thought there might be something noxious about. Thanks for the explanation that the old gals just died on the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually when honeybees are affected by pesticides, they go back and die in front of their hive. :( Piles of dead bees.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy that nice weather...I am waiting for monsoon to end and go outdoors again! I thought of you two evenings ago; I found a dead bee on the catnip flowers and I was sad for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor thing just wore out!! They do love catnip (and all mint!)

      Delete
  8. Dog, bees and berry Does it get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something about old dogs that is extra lovable! You take wonderful pictures. How I envy your ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I think my art training helps, plus I took photography courses in high school and college. But mostly I think digital cameras have improved my picture-taking, because you aren't worrying about wasting film. If you take 500 photos, one of them is bound to be good! :)

      Delete
  10. I've heard that "hogweed" sap can cause blisters and burns. I wonder if "hogweed" is another term for wild parsnip? I'll need to research it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are related species, but Giant Hogweed is much, much worse. Wild Parsnip and Cow Parsnip can be nasty, but nothing like their cousin.

      Delete
    2. I believe they'd found some hogweed around Ottawa. Hope it doesn't move here!!

      Delete
  11. Please tell me that the Speedo prevented the poor guy from having blisters *everywhere*!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!