Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Things that fly, things that fry, renos, fangs and garlic!

First off, a cold front came through yesterday to sweep out the nasty, hot and humid weather we've been having. There were tornado watches and warnings all afternoon, and indeed an F0 tornado touched down 15 minutes south of us mid-afternoon. It damaged some crops and trees but no one was hurt.

It was a honking big storm that came in over the wheat field...






The honeybees survived just fine!



Charlie Sheen was a little damp and muddy but he didn't seem too bothered. We did get a little much-needed rain, but not enough. We're in a drought. The grass around Charlie is quite green because I empty water from the duck pools there. And while the fields are green with soy and otebo beans, the ground beneath them is deeply cracked with dryness. We need to get a decent rainfall in the next week or so, or the corn crop may fail. They already predict a hay shortage this fall, because the farmers are only getting one cut instead of two or three.

I'm catching up today, hence the title of the post. A mixed bag of things I've been meaning to put up...


The other week, we had lunch at Truffles Burger Bar in Cornwall. They have all kinds of burgers, including emu, kangaroo (!) and alligator (!), as well as five type of vegetarian burgers, and a lot of other tasty options. This is their second location. The first was destroyed in an unfortunate fire just after it opened last year. 


Gordon had the pulled pork burger with a side of poutine. Very tasty!


Okay, the plate is HUGE. The burger is not as small as it looks here.  I had the Pommier burger, which I believe is named after the jewellers around the corner. Pork, feta and apple. Yum!

And (out-of-focus) side of yam fries with garlic mayo:



On another day last week, we had lunch at Bite Me Sandwich Shop & Deli in Alexandria, which just won best new business of the year in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry. It is great to have a couple of new places to eat around here that aren't chains, or serving crap food.


We tried the Cuban sandwiches and they were very yummy. It was a meaty week last week. I often have meatless meals, but you wouldn't know it from these pics! :)

And I meant to post this ages ago. A while back, I made a birthday cake for a friend, and instead of turning on the oven, I turned on the BROILER. And didn't notice until it was too late...
  

Doesn't look very appetizing, does it? I tossed these and made another cake with the oven at the proper setting!

Emily continues to wage war on my houseplants...


Note the fangs!



More fangs. That plant used to be on my desk, but I moved it to the hall in hopes she'd leave it alone. Nope.

Meanwhile, the garlic is doing great...


This is not quite ready but still edible. Another week or two and I'll be digging it all up!

And we've been having the upstairs of our house renovated since April. The upstairs hall used to have f-ugly carpeting, where every pet in the house went to throw up, drag his butt or, in the case of Alex on a naughty day, pee. We really, really wanted that carpeting gone. Four cats, two dogs, and carpeting DO NOT MIX...


When the carpeting came up, it looked like this:


Old stain, paint, paint blobs, and plaster. And it turned out there used to be a bathroom on the landing! The holes for the toilet and the bathtub and sink pipes were still there!

Then our renovators worked some magic and...


Really love 100+-year-old birch floors!


 


Next the stairs are being stripped, along with the bannister and railings, all original to the house.  The walls have all been painted too. We are both thrilled with how it looks. I love bringing out the character of an old home.

And I can't remember if I ever posted this, but it's cute enough to post again if I did:


Enjoy!


23 comments:

  1. Still no flipping rain.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not good. The crops around here are all looking stressed.

      Delete
  2. Wow. You caught Emily in the act and had a camera to hand. I just watch my cat tear away with Christmas cactus hanging out of his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh dear!! So many naughty kitties!

      Delete
  3. You covered a lot of things and of course saved the best for last!
    Emily might be craving greens. If you Gave her some fresh catnip or kitty grass she might leave the plant alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I have been negligent in my cat-grass growing. Better get on that. THanks! I do give her catnip from the garden but I bet she's missing the grass!

      Delete
  4. Good food and a duckling. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't mess with perfection! ;)

      Delete
  5. This is a month or two of posts! Only one comment? Interesting when you show the before and after renos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun watching the floors being transformed!

      Delete
  6. I think you should end every post with a picture of a duckling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a job, all that sanding and staining! Looks wonderful!
    So Emily loves plants ! I just discovered this myself about cats this year. I put my indoors plants outside every Summer and they thrive. This year, due to the presence of 2 new neighbour cats, I had to bring 2 indoors. I left them the spider plant. I had no idea, they were so fond of tropical plants!
    Adorable ducky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOooops!! Yes, some cats are very naughty about houseplants.

      Delete
  8. By the way, that picture of the storm coming looks just like a painting!
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bundt cake good. Burnt cake bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That wooden flooring looks fabulous, well worth the effort. I bet you have the same problem as us now...when the cats chase or play it makes such a racket on the boards, and it is impossible for the dogs to sneak in quietly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say we made the effort, though. Just paid someone else to suffer! ;) Hardwood is noisier, that's for sure, but so much easier to keep clean in a house full of animals!

      Delete
  11. Love the floors. Hate carpet with a passion. Hi Emily, you rascal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope it rains for you soon. It's a bad drought here, too. We had rain yesterday but not nearly enough to make an impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farmers are worried. There is some rain forecast for next week. I hope it actually comes!

      Delete
  13. When I saw the first photo of Emily I wondered if they were her fangs!

    We only get one cut of hay, but we might not get that if this rain keeps up. It's forecast a few dry days this week but I don't think we'll risk cutting it because the grass and the ground is so wet it'll take longer than usual to dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing, isn't it? You'll be lucky to get one cut because it's so wet, we'll be lucky to get more than one cut because it's so dry. We need to trade off some weather!!! Hope things dry up for you soon.

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!