Sunday, December 06, 2009

Cluckin' amazing!

I am way behind on posts (busy week) but the hens are working hard, popping out 8 - 10 eggs per day. I was amazed yesterday to discover this 86-gram gargantua, which looks more like it came from a duck than a chicken:


It is pictured next to the first (41 gram) egg from November 11th, which I need to blow out before it rots and explodes in the fridge.

Yes, I figured the eggs couldn't get much larger, but this morning I found an 88-gram eggzilla in one of the nestboxes! I believe the official weight range for a "jumbo" egg is 70 grams or more. I think we're in!

More soon...

7 comments:

  1. Yegods Knatolee that must have been painful for one of your chooks. That or you have Mongo the Megachicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I'm glad I wasn't that chicken. It's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! That's a big one! Maybe there are two yolks in it too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if there aren't three yolks in there!

    Our Harco black sex-links girls are supposed to lay very large eggs (they are fairly large chickens now, and will weigh about six pounds or so at maturity) so while the eggs look alarming, they are apparently not going to explode the hens or anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have an ostrich in the group. Very impressive girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that must have been a relief. And done au natural as well. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RObin, I think you may have something there! ANd James, no caesarian this time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!