Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Another day, another porker...

So, we had our friend Luc put up a dog run around the little outdoor pig house this week...


...and today...


...a pig magically appeared in it!

Okay, not that magically...


Meet the pig formerly known as Rosie. I picked Rosie up from the OSPCA today. Why "formerly"? 

Well, because when I got "Rosie" home, I realized Rosie had... man-bits.


SO did Dahlia, seen here setting up camp outside "Rosie's" enclosure!

Good thing I noticed that Rosie wasn't a girl! We are going to have him neutered before letting him frolic with the others. The last thing I need is seven pregnant pigs.



Jersey (left) and Dahlia (right) were both quite taken with the sexy new youngster!





Buttercup sauntered by too!


And Honey!

I first heard about Rosie in February. The manager of our shelter told me that a local police officer had found Rosie in a ditch (in February!!!), put "her" in his squad car, and called the shelter. He said he was brining in a pig, but the pig looked hungry, so he was stopping at Tim Hortons and getting it a cheese bagel first.

Is that not incredibly sweet?!

I told the manager that if she hadn't found Rosie a home by spring, we'd take her in.

So today we did! I picked her up at the shelter this morning. The minute I put the crate in the car, "she" promptly had the longest pee imagineable, followed by a large poop. As I was driving home with the windows rolled down, I turned a corner (carefully, I might add!) and the crate rolled over, pig and all.

Luckily, Rosie was fine and the towel I'd put in the crate had absorbed all the pee, so I don't need to get my car detailed tomorrow.

We'll see how soon we can get Rosie neutered. I'm getting the vet in to trim all the pigs hooves (they are atrociously long) and to vaccinate and deworm them all.

Everybody is pretty darn chunky after a winter spent lounging in the straw, eating and sleeping!


Ophelia enjoyed a nice scratch with a stick.


And a belly rub! Rosie is getting a new name. I will keep you posted.

Meanwhile, I think Redford is a little put out by all the new cats. He hopped my lap while I was sitting in the RTV, so we had a nice cuddle...



Such a handsome boy! I have to get him and bunch of other cats to the vet for exams and vaccines!



Buttercup is thrilled that winter is finally over.


But Redford won't let her drive the Kubota!



28 comments:

  1. Well no big surprise like the 6 new little pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie will have a happy home and plenty of new friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love awaits on the other side of the chain link!

      Delete
  3. How come the OSPCA didn't notice that she was a he? They all seem very friendly; like one big family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, farm animals aren't really in their mandate. They are a city shelter but they help any animals. But most of the ladies who work there didn't grow up on a farm. :)

      Delete
  4. I'd be a bit offended if the police found me naked in a ditch but didn't notice that I had man bits and decided to call me Rosie. Poor pig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then... locked naked in a cage surrounded by an assortment of buxom naked ladies sniffing around outside...

      What are you trying to do to the poor chap?

      Oh yeah, then chopping his bollocks off...

      Still, I'm sure he'll come to love you eventually. (Not sure I would)

      Delete
    2. Andrew hahahahahahahahahaha!! When you put it that way, I'm pretty sure he won't EVER LOVE ME! Regardless, the bollocks are coming off!!

      Delete
    3. PS Should I name him Andrew???

      Delete
  5. I am surprised the OSPCA couldn't tell the difference from male to female ! I bet Mr Pig will be happy there and make lots of friends . Oh maybe call him Rossi or Rudy , Ronnie lol just a few ideas lol ! It must get expensive to keep , feed and get all these animals vet checked and shots ! Hope he settles in well after . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really a shelter for dogs, cats and small animals, not farm animals. I think the one lady who works at the shelter who COULD sex a pig is on maternity leave! :)

      I think we need to set up a charitable foundation to feed all these animals, LOL, especially since they're all on organic feed!

      Delete
  6. Aaaah,look at the girls,they are totally smitten with the new boy!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Rosie is a wonderful boy name. Short for Roosevelt. Rosey Grier, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tux does that every time I put him in the crate. I get him in the car, and as soon as we hit the road... he lets loose - both number 1 and 2. The vets are used to it. They always have a bag and an extra towel ready for me when they know I'm coming up.


    Give Redford a little scritch from me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scritch delivered and gratefully received!

      Delete
  9. Hilarious that no one noted to man bits before he came home with you. Good luck with all the vet visits!
    \

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the shelter workers was scratching his belly the day he left the shelter, and got a bit suspicious. She figured either he had an umbilical hernia or he was a boy! To be fair, it's not glaringly obvious on pigs (unlike on my PONY!) Things are all kind of tucked-in!!!

      Delete
  10. your place is sooo much fun!!!! I love that the policeman stopped to get the pig a bagel, that is just too cute! You have one HUGE heart of gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to find the police officer! I think Gordon might be able to track him down.

      Delete
  11. I had the same thought as Joanne Nonagon: Roosevelt for former American football player Rosie Greer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God bless the police officer that not only took time from his job to save "her" but fed "her" as well. And a cheese bagel! What a guy!
    I used to let my animals travel in the back seat of my car uncaged until once of them had massive diarrhea all over the seat. A hellacious ride home, as you know, but a totally destroyed car seat as well. Good luck with the new fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no KARI!! Did your car ever smell good again??!!! I was so relieved nothing leaked out of the crate when it tipped (and was also glad the pig was okay! I really didn't turn the corner very fast!)

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you peeked! What a lovely new piggy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is REALLY sweet!! Great temperament!

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!