Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Easter... chicken!

My international chicken superstar, Charlotte, met the Easter bunny last weekend!


"Oh hello. Who the heck are you?"

Our local animal shelter, the Stormont Dundas & Glengarry OSPCA, was holding a fundraiser, "Easter Pet Pics." They specifically requested I bring Charlotte down. As you may recall, Charlotte has now had her photo taken with Santa twice at similar fundraisers!





"Daisies... if they were real, I could snack on them!"

Sophie, who works at the shelter, took lots of great photos of Charlotte and emailed them to me.


"Hmmm. They LOOK really. And I AM hungry!"



"Make sure you get my  best side!"

Poor Charlotte always seems to be looking raggy when I take her for photos.  She's moulting and has a naked head to boot.


She wore her little denim "chicken saddle" down for the pics.



Most of the ducks and chickens are looking a little threadbare after a long winter, but they should be getting nice new feathers soon!



"I did not lay these freaks. Must have been one of those Easter-egger hens."


Charlotte had a great time and was totally relaxed. She really seems to enjoy these outings. She perched on one lady's arm for a good ten minutes. She also made a toddler very happy. The little girl came to have her photo taken, but was afraid of the bunny and started crying. So I took Charlotte out of her cage, and voilà! The little girl broke out in smiles.She had photos taken with Charlotte next to her in the basket, instead of with the big scary bunny. It was adorable.



And Charlotte thought the big bunny was just fine!

Spring has sprung here. The snow is steadily melting, and today my bees were flying all over the place. At one point, Gordon cracked open his office window and three honey bees flew right in. I think they were attracted to the potted daffodil on his windowsill. I shooed them out again and we shut the window. I will be glad when the dandelions come out and there's something for my bee girls to eat out there.

Enjoy the weekend!

36 comments:

  1. She really is a beautiful chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love her. I will be really sad when she goes.

      Delete
  2. So how much did you pay your chicken for all these great poses. Nicely done. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been polishing her beak? Or is she just a natural beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte needs an agent to help her make some serious money from her media career.

    Is she a bit of a Diva?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does! She's not a diva yet, but I think she could be. I think she needs a tiara.

      Delete
  5. I just love that picture of her looking at the eggs....!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wonder what she was thinking?

      Delete
  6. How photogenic...she should have tried out for the Cadbury Easter bunny role! I'm wondering what she thought about all the coloured eggs in front of her, "did I do that?" Happy Easter, dear friend, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a good one too, Susan!

      Delete
  7. Charlotte is such a good sport. I look forward to seeing more of her after her moult and she is in her feathered glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor honey with her little bald head!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:28 am

    There you go again, charming our pants off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Easter.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, these photos are too cute! Poor thing does look to be molting pretty bad. But in no time she will have a beautiful feathered head again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure are teaching me to appreciate chickens. These photos are a joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, they are so much fun. They are really cute to watch as they interact with each other. The roosters can be very gentleman-ly (when they aren't doing sneak sex attacks!!)

      Delete
  12. I want an Easter Chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could send Charlotte for a vacation! She's not afraid of cats.

      Delete
  13. It sure is not the best time of the year to have miss baldy's pictures taken, but she looks adorable anyways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is, but she's never looking good when these photo shoots come around!!

      Delete
  14. OHMYGODTHISISCUTECUTECUTE!

    Charlotte is clearly a well-behaved chicken. These photos are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOTHING fazes her. NOTHING! It's amazing, really. She's a calm old soul.

      Delete
  15. Your Charlotte is really special. Love all the pictures of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika. We have a special bond! :)

      Delete
  16. Charlotte is one beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if she takes after her mother? :)

      Delete
  17. Okay, the pic of Charlotte looking peering at the plastic eggs really broke me up! I'm still laughing. Plastic flowers and huge plastic eggs that would hurt like the dickens to lay and she still keeps her cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if she thought she was on some sort of chicken LSD trip or something!?!

      Delete
  18. How beautiful the pics are. And a Happy Eastern to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fantastic photos, she's a real pro isn't she?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!