Sunday, March 03, 2013

Guess what we did today?


Yep, another sleigh ride with our friends Sam and Jake and their beautiful Belgians, Limerick (left) and Sarah. We were out for hours and the only reason we stopped was because Gordon and I couldn't feel our feet anymore!


Here are the boys (yes, they are twins) getting everything ready before we take off.


Gordon did a fine job driving under Sam's watchful eye.



While Jake kept an eye on ME from several angles while I was driving!



My passengers Gordon and Sam did not complain!



We are both smitten with the whole thing and want horses of our own. I need a smaller horses that I can actually get the harness on, though. Both of these horses stand over 17 hands. There are four inches in a hand, and it's measured from the top of the shoulder.


They were sweaty after nearly three hours pulling our sleigh. I am learning my commands. "Haw" means turn left, "gee" means turn right, "woah" means (duh) stop, "step up" means get going (or you can make a kissy noise if your lips aren't froze stiff!), "stand" means to stand and wait after I tell you to woah. I am also learning not to hold the reins like a neophyte.


After the ride, Sarah wanted two things....


...a  nice drink of water, and...





...a good roll in the snow!


...roll...



...roll...



...roll...


"I think I'm done!"



"No wait, I'm not!"


Roll...


...roll...



...roll! Much better!



ANd here is Jake and Limerick. Such beautiful horses, and Sam and Jake have been very generous about letting us take the reins!

Afterwards, Gordon and I went for lunch at Jack's Pub down in Williamstown.


Guess who bought him the shirt?

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

33 comments:

  1. Those horses are gorgeous! I know nada about equines and I cracked up seeing Sarah roll--just like a cat! (with hooves)

    Gordon--nice shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hilarious watching that huge horse drop and roll just like a dog or cat!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous looking horses !
    Must have been great sleigh-ride :)
    I guess it´s you that bought the shirt to Gordon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I got it on Etsy:

      https://www.etsy.com/shop/rctees

      Delete
  3. Just LURVE horses!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I would love to get some. So much to learn first!

      Delete
  4. Those horses are huge. And magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We only had horses when I was a little guy so had many slow hours on the road. It's something I'll never forget. My daughter's Schnauzer likes to roll like a horse. I can see you with horses like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally smitten! They are suggesting Haflingers for me, because these guys are really rather large for me!

      Delete
  6. First, I need one of those shirts for my guy!! I love watching those magnificent horses rolling in the snow--what fun,XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirts:

      https://www.etsy.com/shop/rctees

      They said Sarah always wants to roll in the snow after she pulls!

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah, feeling alot better after that roll around in the cold, white stuff......
    Wouldn't mind a bit of snow here at the moment, although temps are cooler!!
    Great pics and those horse are just beautiful Natalie......
    Test of a good shirt, does Gordon wear it when you're not around?
    Looks like the pub was a good place to warm up and enjoy lunch.

    Claire :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horses were so sweaty after being out fo three hours, they were happy for a roll in the snow!

      That's a good question... I wonder if Gordon DOES wear it when I'm not around? :)

      THe fire in the pub was very warm, even if it was propane, not wood-fired!

      Delete
  8. sarah is such a silly girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she? And the brains of the outfit, of course.

      Delete
  9. Great horses and lots of fun for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have another sleigh ride this Sunday if the weather permits.

      Delete
  10. The horses look amazing! I am glad you all had fun, but Sarah is the one who can thorougly enjoy the white stuff :)

    That is a great shirt... and Gordon wears it well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horses are so lovely. Sigh..

      Delete
  11. What a fun day! You are so lucky to have access to the horses and slay and guys to handle the heavy lifting. I love Sarah's exuberance at rolling in the snow. It looks like she had a fun day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really love pulling the sleigh. It is so much fun being with them.

      Delete
  12. How fun! I love the roll in the snow photos - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lucky are you to have this opportunity. I used to have horse and miss horses a lot. So get some horses and share it all with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool! The horse is rolling around in the snow just like a happy dog. I didn't know horses did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either until we moved out here. Now I often see horses rolling around in fields!

      Delete
  15. THank you Fernando!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm livin' the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well who'd have thunk a horse would like to roll in the snow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!