Monday, March 11, 2013

I've found a new love

Horses! BIG horses!

Oh, just look what I was up to again this weekend!


My friend Ronna took this photo of us. I was out on a sleigh again with lovely Sarah and handsome Limerick (and their owners, twins Jake and Sam!)

We went to our friend Eugene's again for a day of sleigh rides. It was wonderful, sunny and the temps above freezing. Things are thawing but there was still lots of snow on the ground for the sleighs. And someone convinced me to get on a horse...


I didn't take much convincing. Paisley is a lovely, calm girl who just wanted to follow the sleigh. This was maybe my fifth time on a horse every (yes, no helmet, but she was a horse for newbies and I wasn't on there for too long.) This has convinced me to take riding lessons so I at least know the basics.

I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I was up there. I have discovered how much I love being around horses. I have always liked them, but all this time spent driving horses and being with them the past few weeks has been magical. I find time stands still when I'm doing these things.

Here is my friend Eugene, with Gordon, Jake and Sam and the Belgians Sarah and Limerick (same ones we spent last Sunday with!)



Country boys know how to have fun!




And these beauties belong to Eugene's son Korey. I wish I could remember what breed/crosses they are. Gorgeous horses!


And this Hackney cross was there pulling a lovely antique sleigh.



Gordon helped Sam and Jake take the horses back to the trailer for a snack and a break at lunchtime.


Yes, he's sold on getting some heavy horses.


A little grain for the hard-working Sarah!




Our friends Ronna and Richard came for a ride too! Here they are with Gordon and Sam and Jake. What a perfect day.


Korey's team again.



Men at work, ha ha.






Those horses could drag him down the road if they really wanted to!



Ronna and Richard visit Limerick in the trailer.



The day ended way too soon...


Bye guys! Hope to see you all again soon!




One word for this: magical!

36 comments:

  1. Do you know that yours is the only non-food blog I follow? And yours is more interesting than many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, I am very glad you like my blog so much! :)

      Delete
  2. The perfect transportation in snow! The horses are just beautiful, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like something out of a postcard!

      Delete
  3. It seems like some farm might be having some horses soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we would love some, but we have some learning and preparing to do first!

      Delete
  4. And I bet the horses enjoyed the day as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are happy to be out there pulling!

      Delete
  5. Heavy horses are something special; I'm glad they are working their magic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't have to work very hard on me! :)

      Delete
  6. What fun! You know that if you get horses you need to get goaties too. hee hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horses or no horses, goaties are DEFINITELY in the plan!

      Delete
  7. Oh you guys are sooooo smitten.......they are such beautiful animals.
    Great pics, still looking chilly over there.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I thought that day was downright warm! ;)

      Delete
  8. Magical is right! You make me miss the snow. I'm surprised you haven't done more riding given your love for animals and your life in the country. You sure look like a natural, so happy and at ease. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've thought about it for years, but was a little put off when two friends were badly injured being tossed from horses. But I LOVE driving horses. I could totally get into that, and also do a little riding. I think we are both going to take some lessons!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful pictures of a grand time. I hope you have your horses, soon! Before you burst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I am so in looooove! Smiled all day long.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful. I absolutely love horses. Both my children took riding lessons for several years when they were younger. My oldest child was in show and jumping. I loved all the time spent in the barns with the horses and could not resist helping out. They really are a beautiful animal with a high level of sensitivity. If you do get horses then you really should go take lessons so that you can appreciate these animals even more. They are quite sensitive and create amazing bonds with sensitive owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are going to take lessons soon while we figure out what horses to get, and prepare for them! (Fencing, pasture, etc.) They are amazing animals!

      Delete
  11. Once a horse person, always a horse person. You and Gordon are afflicted for life. Horses get into your heart like no other animal. Lessons are really important but they are usually lots of fun. I still remember my first lesson 47 years ago on a small white horse called Aisha- it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked them, but now I'm getting lots of quality time with them. My mother was crazy for horses and rode a lot as a child. I am going to look for lessons around here. There are a couple of stables that teach adults!

      Delete
  12. Whoooaa! Great pics and what fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could spend weekends with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you're ever up over the border, let me know! :)

      Delete
  14. I can tell you're hooked on horses. I'm surprised that you never discovered horses before now. From now on I expect posts on horses. You had many super pictures on this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just never really thought it would be possible, and I had never considered owning heavy horses, which are the ones I really love. Now it's all seeming a lot more possible and I have lots of willing teachers!

      Delete
  15. Great photos! I love the one of you on the horse. I have always been a little afraid of horses, but wanted to learn how to ride. My husband got us a private horseback riding lesson one year for my birthday and it was so great! I was terrified but I got on a horse and rode for a while. It was a very neat experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great that you got out there and tried it. I'm not afraid of them BUT I am pretty ignorant about horse behaviour and such, so I really need to learn about them so I don't do anything stupid!!! :) I smiled the whole time I was on that horse. She was lovely. And huge.

      Delete
  16. Holy bronies! Sarah's head is as big as Gordon's head and torso! That is a LOT of horse!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's some grin you are wearing around those gentle giants! There are a couple of farms near me that raise draft horses. The best is seeing the new colts race around the paddocks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sensing that you really like horses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the horses, too, Nat. You def need to get some on your farm! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!