Thursday, April 05, 2012

Mama's motoring!

First off, check out the video of Eugenia (aka Mama duck) motoring around on two legs after healing up from the fox attack:

  

Yes, I'm talking baby talk again.



I am really happy to see her on two feet!


The dogs and I walked around the farm this afternoon.


The fields are very dry for this time of year, and our tenant farmer has already planted our front fields in wheat, which will be really lovely this summer!



We had some tree planting done by the local stewardship council a couple of years back. They planted sumac and white pine along the municipal drain (creek) that runs through our property.




It cracks me up that there are bivalves in our creek (I'm not good at shell identification!) It's like I have the seashore here.



Okay, not quite!



We also had some butternut saplings planted. Some horrible canker has been killing all the butternuts, so these are part of a local butternut test-planting.

And that's today's walk around the farm. Go Mama duck!









20 comments:

  1. Ah bless her! She looks a bit stiff, but she's getting there. Don't let her go nuts showing off her fancy footwork...she's still mending!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she is definitely still stiff, and you can see her leg is still swollen. She spent most of the day snoozing in the caged area within the outdoor duck run. I notice an improvement in her gait every day. I'm glad the bite didn't get infected. It healed up nicely. Thanks Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You done good Knatolee! Momma duck is lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for her. Nice to see her up and about again. Poor wee thing..they must wonder what the heck happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! it was awful when she first got hurt. I hated seeing that leg just hanging behind her. So glas she's back on two webbed feet!

      Delete
  5. Glad to see that Eugenia is up and waddling about. Hope she will take your advice to run away when she sees an "orange dog with a bushy tail". My best to the duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mil, and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. So good to see. Well done the pair of you. Let's hope time and rest complete the healing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day she's doing a little better. What a relief!!

      Delete
  7. Glad to see her back up and you can tell her, I have put my frying pan away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can keep it out for duck egg omelettes!

      Delete
  8. That is a very tenacious duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is! You should have seen her last summer with her babies. She was always going for me. I think she still hates me. :)

      Delete
  9. You saved a life, dear Nat! Way to go!!!! Happy weekend (almost) and Happy Easter to you and Gordon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an Easter miracle that I didn't screw up her leg. ;)

      Delete
  10. I have had it suggested to me that your shell may be an Eastern elliptio.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!