Saturday, April 21, 2012

Duckies with a dash of feline

I think I have found a solution for Ronna the duck's disintegrating nest problem...



An old shallow beehive box contains Mama and eggs quite nicely! Ronna's eggs were rolling all over the place and getting walked on by the lughead drakes. She had also made her nest right near one of the feeders, a high-traffic area. So I moved the feeder, and put the box around her nest, shoring it up with some clean wood shavings. She seems quite pleased with it all and the eggs have stayed put since I put this together yesterday.

Of course, there are now ELEVEN eggs, which is something I have to deal with. We don't need 11 more ducks! I have marked all the eggs with a Sharpie marker (as per my crusty farmer friend's instructions) so I will know if anyone is laying new ones in there.

It was a rainy day here but the ducks didn't seem to mind. I took a picture of some of them preening their sodden selves under the lamp this evening:



And a little kitty fix...


Here's Gordon enjoying the company of Alex and Naomi! Now, Alex used to be overweight but he isn't now, and the photo is very unflattering to him. So I took another pic of him sitting up yesterday, with his new svelte physique:


Since I put him on a raw diet, he has lost about four pounds and weighs about ten, where he should be (he's a big cat but he only has three legs!) Now I want him to maintain this weight. Not surprisingly, he is MUCH happier and more active these days. I just could not get him to lose weight while he was on kibble, but the raw diet I've got them all on has worked wonders for Alex. He was very resistant to switching from kibble at first, but he's doing great now.



And Emily is just a little sweetie who needs to grow into her ears! This is her in a rare moment of repose.

Enjoy your weekend!










11 comments:

  1. Oh goodie, the number of ducklings is growing by the minute :)

    I heard of many benefits of raw food diet. I'm not sure how that works. Do you prepare it yourself, or do you buy it like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have changed our feeding routine as one of our girls was diagnosed with diabetes on Thursday. I'm hoping the 'bonny' few will slim down a bit...I think Alex could be their poster boy!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ducks & chickens & kitties, oh my! It looks like you've got lots of critters to love at your house.

    My name is Oskar & I'd like to invite you to be featured on my blog at www.PetBlogsUnited.com. It's a great way to meet new blogging friends. If you're interested you can drop me a line at PBU at comcast dot net.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see my chances for a good hearty meal are going up.:-)

    I went last week to the doc and had a skin sample taken because I developed rashes since our new member Dutch aka Doublewide joined us. Keep your finger crossed is only coincidental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are crossed! Maybe you are allergic to cinnamon buns!!

      Delete
  5. That´s not bad with 11 duck eggs , me and hope that all will hatch even if you don´t need moore duck´s :)
    Here in Sweden it´s rainy weather too :(
    Purrfect day for snoozing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a strong suspicion there will be 11 ducklings...

      And it's supposed to snow here tomorrow. Outrageous!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for having such a consistently enjoyable blog. Love your stories and your kitties. Am learning a lot about ducks and geese, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very kind words! I am so glad you enjoy my blog, Deven. :)))

      Delete
  7. I am not a cat lover, but I could love your cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite a compliment to them, because I know you're not a cat fan! :) They are a funny bunch, pretty relaxed.

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!