Sunday, June 15, 2008

Right, the crop is in...

It's Sunday night and I'm half-watching a bunch of Sex and the City reruns (I never caught the series the first time around anyway!) I keep obsessively checking the Environment Canada site "severe thunderstorm watch" for this area every ten minutes. They have been threatening us with a whopping big thunderstorm for days and days, and it never comes. The garden is totally parched and we need some rain.

I do not, however, need hail, which they are also threatening. I have finished planting my veggie "patch" which is probably, what, 1/8 of an acre? I dunno exactly; it became monstrous, and I did it all by hand with a hoe and a hand shovel. I always had respect for the hard work of farmers, but now I have new respect. I can barely keep up with the gardening here lately! All the farmers are in high gear now. A few days ago, we visited the fellow who rents our land, and he was sweating to get the rest of his soybeans planted.

Anyway, all my babies are in the ground: ten kinds of tomato, several types of pepper, cucumber, zucchini, summer squash, melons, pumpkins, squash, onions, scallions, potatoes, garlic, eggplant, leeks, kale, salsify, carrots in all colours, lettuce, beets (three kinds!), Swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflower (two kinds!), spinach, Royal burgundy beans, dragon's tongue beans, black jet soybeans, strawberries, blueberries, and a saskatoon berry bush. And I finished my herb garden too! Hmmm... maybe there's a reason I'm tired and my muscles ache. Let's just hope the deer/raccoons/coyotes/whatever don't get to my veggies before I do! Or at least, I hope they leave me a few when they're done. I don't have the time/energy/will/resources to erect a 12-foot deer fence. I don't mnd sharing a bit, so long as the wildlife doesn't engage in total vegetable annihilation.

It's great fun watching everything grow. I always get a kick out of this but this year Gordon took a real interest in the veggies for the first time. He helped me start seeds back in April, and helped plant seeds and seedlings in the garden. I think I've got him hooked. I can still see the magic in a tiny seed growing into a plant that gives you, say, a few dozen tomatoes for your dinner table.

I'm happy with the herb garden too. I started some seeds called pleurisy root, and for the life of me I couldn't remember what the heck "pleurisy root" was. Duh, it's butterfly weed. I bought them to attract more of our winged friends to the garden.

We have a booming toad population, which I'm pleased about (insect control, plus I think they're cute.) I find them everywhere, including amongst the vegetables. Today I picked up a flat of herb seedlings and carried it all the way across the yard and set it down before I realized a huge toad had dug out some of the lavender and settled into one of the pots. He hopped out when I put the tray down. Glad to be of service as toad taxi!

I spend a lot of time these days scrubbing dirt off of my hands and feet, which is never 100% effective. I am also developing a less-than-feminine "farmer's tan." Oh well, goes well with the grimy nails! I figure a coat of toenail polish should hide at least some of the dirt.

We managed to go kayaking on Friday, down the river at the back of our property. I also managed to lose my sunglasses in the process, which took some skill. But the kayaking was great!

Oooooh, and now CBC has a production of Othello on the boob tube which I thinketh doth interest me. I wisheth thou all a good week.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:19 am

    oooooh That was A LOT of work!! I really hope all the ani-mules leave you some. It will be interesting ot see what happens.

    Now you really need the rain! here's hoping you get some soon (and not hail!).

    and maybe you'd better get a little tv to put on top of your regular one, so you can watch the weather reports and a show at the same time. ;) ...maybe you can find one at an auction. har har

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pnat,
    That was a LOT of work!! You need to put a picture up as it is developing. I would love to have the ability to put in all those veggies.

    I pray that no critters eat your crop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!