Thursday, March 26, 2015

Spring, so elusive...

So I had to give my bees some fondant yesterday, to give them a little sugar to keep 'em going until the weather improves and there is something (pussywillow pollen, tree sap) out there for them to collect. 

I had to snowshoe out to my field hives, but once I got there, I found some very busy bees!



This gal came to check me out. If you look closely, you can see her little red tongue.



This gal fell in the snow and didn't make it back out.



So out of 11 hives, I lost 2 this winter, which isn't bad. I think the problem with both of them was that the colonies were a little too small going into winter, but I will do a post-mortem once the snow has melted some more and I can actually get the dead hives moved to the barn. The two in this picture are doing just great!



As you can, there is still lots of snow but it looks like the daytime temperatures are going to stay above freezing for the foreseeable future!

Who cares! I'm going to Greece on Sunday. :) But spare a thought for my poor husband, who is staying here!

Meanwhile...


Can you tell I have six barn cats?



Time for a car wash! 

And...


...the sun was so warm yesterday, the pigs actually ventured outside for the first time in I don't know how long!


Jersey has grown quite a bit!


She was sitting in manure, enjoying the sun! She is clearly a different breed from the other pigs, but I don't know what kind.It may not be clear from these photos but her snot SNOUT (thanks to my dear friend for pointing out that typo!!) is a lot longer and pointier than the other pigs' schnozzolas.


I am going to get the vet here soon. They all need hoof trims, vaccines and deworming.




I think they're pleased it has finally warmed up a bit!

15 comments:

  1. Happy as a pig in...

    I have spared A THOUGHT for poor husband. But much prefer imagining you in Greece.

    You should consider a custom paint job on that car. High-gloss with cat prints. Then the matte cat prints will look like they belong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you going to Greece! Poor Gordon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet post! Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunshine for the pigs! I want equal sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's warmed up by the time you return from Greece.. no snow there I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a long and pointed schnoz...perhaps I'm related to Jersey?
    Enjoy Greece (she says through gritted teeth).
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kitties do love a nice warm car to bask on when it's sunny. Mom's cat Deuce likes to "claim" any car that parks in the driveway. He has to go out an sit on the roof for a few minutes, every single time. It really confuses him when I show up in the convertible with the top down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. they're as happy as pigs in mud (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos ! Yes you have a few putty tat prints on your car lol . Enjoy your trip to Greece bring some very warm sunny weather back with you please !! Thanks for sharing , have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bees must mean it's really spring for you. Enjoy your trip.

      Delete
  10. Perhaps spring will have arrived by the time your return from Greece....fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bon voyage, Natalie... in Finnish, "Hyvää Matkaa!!"...

    What nice pics and moods on your latest entries. Great to see you and Gordon having fun... wonderful images for us all!

    The cat paw prints on the car reminded us of life on our farm: we had lambs that loved to gambol on all our vehicles. Their hooves left slightly more permanent marks than the kitties' muddy paws!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you have fun in Greece. Awesome that your husband will take over the helm so you can go. Hope we get some blog posts about your time in Greece with the kitties.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. If more people were like you and Gordon, this planet would be a better place. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agi Tater said it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!