Wednesday, July 23, 2014

New mother and a massive piglet head and oh yeah, #7...

Look who's a new mama...


Charlotte, age 5. She has now hatched out all three of the eggs that were under her and has two yellow chicks and one black. None of them are her biological children! She is a Sex-link hen, a breed meant for egg production (the the stewpot!) All the broodiness was supposed to have been bred out of her, but this month she got all maternal.

And she is an excellent mama. I watched her teach her little ones to drink and eat. Today I took them a few wild black raspberries. Charlotte broke them up with her beak, the clucked at her babies to come eat. It was utterly adorable. My little hatchery hen is turning out to be an excellent mama, and what's really nice is that because she is so tame and trusts me, I can pick up her babies without her freaking out.

It's so touching to so my oldest hen  tenderly caring for her little ones. She has not gone broody once in the past five years. I guess it was time. And she's a natural!

Meanwhile, look what I got in the mail today:


My friend Penny sent me this fantastic t-shirt. Looks just like one of my little piglets. Well, back when they were still little. Now they look like breadboxes on high heels.

And guess what's in our garage? Cat #7. We think she's Emerson's mother, as they are the exact same colour and she shares his delicate features.  We're not 100% sure it's a she, especially since she's a ginger. Orangey cats tend to be males. But she's definitely an adult and has big mitten front paws: polydactyl!  And unlike Emerson, she's totally wild and almost unapproachable. She has been hanging around for a couple of months, but we've only caught glimpses of her in the garden. I had been planning on trapping her to get her spayed and vaccinated, but then she wandered into the garage. I've been feeding her in there and will be trapping her and taking her to the vet in the next few days, something I am not particularly looking forward to, as it will traumatize her further. But it must be done. Afterwards we'll release her here and she can be our barn/garden cat. I think she considers this place home, considering how long she's been hanging around. And now she'll get free meals twice a day!

We have been making the slightest amount of progress in the garage. I know her hiding spot now and can look at her from a reasonably close distance. Today was the first time she looked at me with squinty eyes instead of the usual dilated-pupil pits of terror. But of course trapping her will set back our progess... sigh. She is at least a good eater, and as per my friend Deb's suggestion, I put some logs on the floor of the garage for her to scratch and laced them with fresh catnip. Judging by the amount of bark on the floor, she's been enjoying this very much. And she seems to like the cat toys and treats I've left out for her too.

Apart from that, I've had my head stuck in my beehives a lot lately. More posts to come!



16 comments:

  1. Aww charlotte is a great mother!
    I hope the trapping goes well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Emerson also double-pawed? If not, is it likely he and #7 are related?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte is so charming. When I first quickly looked at the t shot I thought it was a mask. haha! I'm picturing you walking around your farm wearing it. Oh my! Good news on lucky #7. Lucky, because she is being fed and will be safe now. There is another blogger at Hopalong Hollow Gazette that has lost her dog. Could you pop over with some encouragement for her as we can imagine what she is going through. Thanks Natalie. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:08 am

    Charlotte just shows it's never too late to try something new or find a new direction in life.
    You look good in pig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only you could be kind enough to keep a hen for five years and thus find out that she goes broody. It's sad that people abandon their pets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful Charlotte has baby chicks. Perhaps lack of broodiness wanes over the years? I wonder since the hens aren't destined to normally have long lives...Charlotte won the lottery, though!

    The feral will eventually tame a little and realize she has it made. I'd suggest leaving her in the garage for a while so she can calm down after the vet visit. Will also give her a little extra time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful T shirt! And Charlotte is a dear.I love the idea of Emerson's mother hanging out as a barn cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah bless the new Mum!
    We got Ralph,the foster child, neutered today... foster child? We just couldn't cope with fourteen!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah bless the new Mum!
    We got Ralph,the foster child, neutered today... foster child? We just couldn't cope with fourteen!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet Emerson's Mom warms up to you real quick - once she realizes she's got steady feed... and I think you should name her Eloise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My bee hiving friends are very busy here too as it was a late cool spring and summer took a long time to arrive. Your barn cat will work in so well at your zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlotte and her chick are so cute. Post some pics of the other 2 chicks if you get a chance. And keep us informed on Emerson's mother's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charlotte's part was so nostalgic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how I love that shirt. Wishing you continued progress with "Emerson's mother." I wonder if she could still be Emerson's mother if she's not a she... (No, I don't really. I learned all about the birds and the cats.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any news on the garage cat? Has she 'fallen' for you yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done Charlotte :-)

    That t-shirt is fabulous :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!