Friday, August 14, 2009

Beets, glorious beets...

Let the canning season begin! I started pickling beets today. I grew several varieties this year, so for fun I decided to do a batch with just the Albino (white, obviously) and Chioggia (white and red concentric circles inside) beets. This is a Bernardin "pickled beets with onions" recipe that I used last year and was pleased with.



Ta daaaa! The vacuum seals are popping shut as I type. These look like jars of apple pie filling.



Here's one chunk of Chioggia, next to a freaking air bubble I missed while trying to remove them with my spatula. Oh well!

Gotta go. Awaiting me is a delicious dinner from Chef Gordon: salmon filets with coriander/lemon/smoked paprika/brown sugar rub, fresh corn from down the road, and new Yukon gold potatoes from my garden. Plus somebody brought me home a tub o' Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia! And we've got the first season of Dexter on DVD, which is suitably warped for my liking.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, where do you find the time to do all those domestic things? Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we have no kids to look after! ;) Seriously, though, beets don't take all that long to pickle. And I work at home (design/illustration/art) so I don't spend time commuting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!