Monday, May 04, 2009

Farm life

First off, ye olde veggie patch. We enlarged it a bit this year. Gordon measured it on the weekend and it is apparently, ahem, 5000 SF. Basically I have a monster home for a veggie patch. (For comparison, our home is only 1850 SF spread over two levels!) The size is fine; I have lots to put in there! We rented a tiller and my kind spouse tilled the whole thing for me, except for those three sectioned-off bits, which contain strawberries and garlic. One more light tilling in two weeks (to turn under the weeds that sprout in the interim) and we'll be ready to go.



Tristan spied me with the camera and made a beeline for me...



And while gardening yesterday, I found this beautiful beetle. It looks deceased in the first photo (on my jeans) but it was just fine. Can anyone do an I.D.?





Later yesterday afternoon, we went over to our friends' farm for some Cairn Terrier puppy therapy. They breed lovely, healthy Cairns. These four cuties are almost ready to go to their new homes. Here is Gordon blissing out with a little guy his co-worker and hubby are going to take home:



If you're ever in a crappy mood, there's nothing like an armload of puppies to make you happy! I hgihly recommend this therapy.



And here is Bucky the llama, who will be moving to OUR farm later this year, if we can get our fencing act together:

Of course, Bucky will need a friend. Llamas aren't happy on their own!

And on a non-farm note, last night I woke up to find Naomi thoroughly washing my entire neck with her rough little kitten-tongue. I don't think she missed a spot. Then she gave me a very sharp bite on the neck, and went back to her washing! Strangely, I went on to dream about vampires coming after me. Can't imagine why.

This morning I woke up to find her sleeping belly-up in the crook of my arm. :)

UPDATE: My fine friend Nature Boy has identified the bug as a tiger beetle, likely a six-spotted tiger beetle (I'd that's accurate, looking at the photo on Wikipedia!)

And here's a better picture.




24 comments:

  1. That beetle you found is the rare, north American Canadian blue beetle.

    Naomi, what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo, if you're bringing home a Llama, plus at least one, you're going to have a LOT of fleece. Wanna learn how to spin? I can bring the baby to Canada on her first international trip (in the Spring, next spring) and teach you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely want to learn to spin!! It's on my wish list of things to do. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'know, you can get good deals on gelding alpacas at alpacanation.com. Gelding alpacas often have softer fleece, as their hormones are "stunted". You may also want to consider a sheep or two, a couple of corridale maybe? Something to blend with your camelid fibers to make them easier to spin and wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie: check this site:
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/123550
    Good beetle ID.
    (Love the pups!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:26 pm

    I hope you do indeed get an alpaca, because we don't have a skeleton of one of THOSE... Could we have it once you are done with it?? Or would you want it, now that you are into collecting bones??
    ;-)

    NB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear NB,

    I would consider donating a llama skeleton to your esteemed institution. However, it would be a llama that DIED NATURALLY and you would have to come pick it up. And you are BAD!

    Sincerely, Knatolee

    ReplyDelete
  8. oops. I meant alpaca. Do you already have a llama?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:52 am

    Um, yes, we are "with llama", but do not have an alpaca. Which are you going to get??
    NB

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are planning on llamas, but you never know, alpacas could end up in the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to guess Ringo Starr but looks like Mo has a more likely answer.

    Wow! That is a big enough garden to feed a small nation. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your husband is truly amazing. (Mine grumbles about mowing the lawn, for Pete's sake!). Go Gordon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shona, I passed along your compliment to G. He's negotiating in Winnipeg today.

    James, I sell the excess at the end of our laneway when I was feeling energetic enough to cart it up there in the summer. Plus I foolishly bought four kinds of pumpkin seed this year... they take up a LOT of room.

    Laura-Jane, these beetles must be fairly common since I saw another one yesterday. I love metallic insects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see lots of gardening in your future. Cool looking beetle. Awe, puppies! Who's going to be Llama's friend?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I count 8 spots on the beetle, or are the ones by it's behind not considered spots? LOL

    Have fun gardening, sounds like a lot of work!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I counted eight spots too. Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:46 am

    No alpacas! they're just mutant llamas.

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey now! Alpacas are NOT just mutant Llamas! They're the bearers of the fiber of the gods, bred to be 20+ different colors naturally.

    Llamas are the helpers of the ancient world. They're both pack and fiber animals, wonderful creatures, and sometimes their fiber is even as soft as alpaca.

    -Lauren, Fiber geek

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lauren, Phyllis has an inexplicable prejudice towards llamas! Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous6:34 pm

    llamas over mutant alpacas anyday! This is NOT an inexplicable preference, as you'll see:

    http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/05/07/llamas-are-lovers-alpacas-are-mutants/#comment-441451

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so very glad to see that your garden is beginning to form and grow. I *wish* I had a 5000 sf garden. I just ate my beans, okra, tomatoes and herbs with my dinner tonight. It was great knowing how healthy & fresh it was.

    Cool beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Phyllis,

    As a useful animal, an earlicious animal, Llamas really can't be beat. Unfortunately, I lean towards Alpacas because I HATE picking guard hairs out of my fiber before spinning it. Even the finest Llama has guard hairs. It's a work process thing, you understand ;)

    Also, I think Alpacas are just darned cute.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool beetle, and oh my are those puppies ever adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!