Saturday, August 12, 2017

Damn it...

Beatrice went to the Rainbow Bridge today...


Beatrice soaking up some sun in her new home.

This summer, I fostered Beatrice for a while for a local rescue organization, then my friends Sharron and David adopted her a few weeks ago, and gave her the most wonderful, loving home a cat could ever imagine. We all thought that this blind, geriatric feline would squeeze a few years out of life yet (her initial veterinary check-up went very well!) I was thrilled to think about her enjoying the kind of love and care she was clearly being denied when she was taken from her previous owners with her fur so matted, it clung to her like a turtle shell and hampered her movement.

Sharron came to visit Beatrice regularly while she was with me, then made me the happiest kitty-fosterer around when she said they were going to adopt this old gal. At her new home, Beatrice was given a comfy new bed in a patch of sunshine, walks in the grass, and so much more. Most of all, she was given love. I consider myself a poet, but I can't find the words to describe how touched I was by Sharron and David offering to adopt this cat. I could see what a beautiful, affectionate little soul she was, but not many people are going to be willing to take on a 16-year-old blind cat. But then, Sharron and David are special that way. They did not overlook this dear little cat.



Whispering in Beatrice's ear about the great things about to happen to her!


Sharron got to work figuring out how she would introduce Beatrice to their other two kitties, and how she would keep this blind cat safe as she wandered around her new home. Sharron took Beatrice for a "spa day" at the groomer's. We talked about how gorgeous her coat would be once it grew back in (when she was rescued, most of her fur was shaved to remove the mats.) I loved hearing Sharron tell me about how well Beatrice was settling into her new abode. She was quite fearless about jumping on and off the couch!

Then a few days ago, Beatrice started throwing up bile and began turning up her nose at food. Long story short, and after a lot of veterinary care, today they discovered a large tumour in her stomach that was spreading. She was having trouble eating and had lost a substantial amount of weight in a very short time, and the prognosis was poor. So my friends made the difficult decision to put Beatrice to sleep this afternoon.


So many hearts are broken tonight! Some people will never understand how a pet can become a beloved part of your family, but I certainly do, and I know how quickly Sharron and David became attached to this little beauty; she certainly charmed me in the time she was with us. They had planned to give her everything she had previously been denied, but in this case, life has been cruel. The one thing I can say is that, while I know this is so sad for my friends, and I wish I could spare them the pain of losing their kitty, and I question myself, (I wonder if I missed a sign? Should I just have kept her knowing how old she was?) part of me is just so glad they took her home. Because for a few weeks, she had it all, and she truly knew what it was to be cherished and loved by humans. I could not be more grateful to Sharron and David for that.

And that's why I keep doing this rescue work, even though it can be heart-breaking, emotionally and financially draining, and painful. I do it because I believe every animal deserves love, respect and decent care. And Beatrice finally got that! I just wish with all my heart that she had been able to stick around to enjoy it a bit longer.

I love animals and I always will, but they sure do smash your heart into pieces sometimes. Please send kind thoughts to Sharron and David, who are grieving tis sweet cat.

I hope she is chasing butterflies through fields of catnip now, eyesight completely restored.

Beatrice, you were loved. 





25 comments:

  1. Oh Natalie, I am so sorry! I loved hearing that Beatrice went to such a loving home three weeks ago. Please pass along my sympathy to Sharron and David. You know Beatrice is whole and well chasing butterflies!
    Robin xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Natalie my heart is just breaking for all of you. I am so deeply, deeply sorry. You had no way of knowing. Sending love and (((hugs))) of comfort to all catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw...I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. It's always so hard to lose a beloved feline. Bless her little heart for being such a trooper at sixteen years of age. She is one you will never forget. :( Rest in peace, little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sad! I'm so sorry! Be happy sweet Beatrice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so very sorry to hear about Beatrice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's heart-breaking. But at least you know you and Sharon gave her the care and love she so very much deserved, even if it was for just a short period of time. She ended in love and peace and that's all anyone can hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Farewell, good kitty. You will find so many soul mates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sad! I just kept saying to myself as I was reading this, but at least she was well loved in the end. It is hard to lose a kitty like that but what wonderful people to open their hearts to her even for such a short time. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sad, I am so sorry. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds as if the poor soul had her fill of woes. Those of us who really care for animals find this the most distressing of decisions, but we usually know what's best for the one involved. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kind thoughts and gratitude to you, and Sharron and David for sharing your love with Beatrice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no...my deepest condolences to you and Sharron and David
    We should all be so fortunate to spend our last days surrounded by so much love.It is what she remembered. Our pets live in the moment and all she knew was joy and love...with the past where it belongs-in the past.

    Beatrice' mission here with us was simply complete. She entered all your lives for a reason even you don't know why.

    Hugs to all she touched. Your compassion for this and all critters will not go unnoticed by the universe and Karma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for you, Sharon & David. I'll never understand death whether its a pet or a person, but it's life. Your story brought me to tears and I know she's not in any pain; it's such a hard decision to let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Older animals have gotten to me, too. Maybe I am subconsciously hoping someone takes care of me when I am too old. Thank you for giving Beatrice a wonderful place in her earthly life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a Himalayan live to 20. I was hoping Beatrice would, too. Hugs and purrs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry, Sharron & David and Natalie & Gordon. In the past, I've done Oncology Nursing, although in December, 2015, deciding --[as Sharron & David did]-- to let our little orange-and-white rescue cat John, 8, "go," i.e., while he was on the Operating Table, where the surgeon found that his (just diagnosed) liver tumor was too large/involved to feasibly remove ............ was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Maybe the mandate to "Do No Harm" guides us in all of these very tough/very difficult decisions, you know.

    Sweet little Beatrice had pure love for only a brief period of time but in that way-too-brief time, she knew ............ all of love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just so unfair. Sweet dreams, Beatrice.
    Thanks to everyone who made her last weeks so purrfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She had such a wonderful last few weeks getting all the affection and care she needed and deserved. it should be a great comfort to you all. Thanks for all the foster CARE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is crushing, heartbreaking news. There is nothing else to say except her life ended with her being loved and cherished. God speed beautiful angel.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My sympathies to you and your friends. I'm grateful that, even though it was a for short period of time, Beatrice had the love and kindness she so clearly deserved.

    Run free little one.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beatrice was loved more when it was important for her to know before she had to leave. She was a beauty of a girl kitty. Even without sight, her eyes were the prettiest eyes a kitty can have. Will miss her pretty face on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. At least the sweet girl knew she was loved when you had her and when Sharron and David had her. You gave her that and she died in peace. Poor sweet girl. You all did your best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I teared up when I read this. Thank you for giving her a home and love as well as Sharron and David giving her love up till the end. She knew she was loved. You and Gordon and Sharron and David have kind hearts filled with love. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. At least she got a lot of love from you and your sweet friends. Bless you for looking after this lovely old girl.

    Julie and Poppyq
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!