Monday, December 05, 2016

It finally happened...

I finally fell off my horse! My first fall ever since I started riding.


It took 2-1/2 years but I managed it at last, in somewhat spectacular fashion. Don't worry, I'm okay! I have to go for an ultrasound on my kidneys tomorrow but I will be fine.

Gordon, my friend Pam and I were out riding in the field yesterday having a great old time. We decided to canter for a bit, so Gordon led the way. No sooner did I get Roo into gear then wham! Something happened... I went up in the air and slammed back down in the saddle hard. I would have stayed on, but then Roo took a hard turn left (I honestly have no idea if I jerked his rein or not!) and off I flew. I just remember throwing the reins from me and making sure my other foot was out of the stirrup before I hit the muddy ground in as much of a ball as I could curl up into.

I can't say it didn't hurt, because it did. I thought I would be okay until I suddenly felt like there was an elephant sitting on my chest, at which point Gordon called an ambulance. Somehow the farmer who rents our land showed up with his pick-up truck and brought the paramedic out to the field! Still not sure where he came from, but it was timely. We have the best neighbours. They ended up sticking me in a neck brace and taking me off to hospital. Not the best end to my ride with Roo, but the paramedics were super kind.

After a bunch of tests and xrays and stuff it was determined that I hadn't broken anything, thank goodness. They finally set me free three hours later, sore but alive. :) They took a urine sample and while I thought I was then free to go from the ER, apparently I wasn't, because I got a call today saying I need to come back and get an ultrasound. I think probably I bruised a kidney as that's exactly the part of my anatomy that took the worst of the impact.  Probably some blood in the urine. Anyway, my neck and lower back are sore but they will get better.

So mainly I am pissed off at having to fast for 8 hours before my ultrasound at 10:45 am tomorrow. I am not a pleasant person when I can't eat. Also I am not good at lying around resting, but I tried to do that today. Everyone is being super kind to me.

Mostly I really want to get back on my horse. I was wearing my helmet but I'm pretty certain I kept my head from hitting the ground. Nonetheless I will be buying a new helmet, just in case.

My friend Pam, who was riding behind me on her  lovely horse Ella (who is currently boarding here!) saw the whole thing. Apparently Roo kicked out at Ella as she came up behind me, either a sideways kick or a backwards one. That's what sent me up in the air to begin with. Still don't know why he turned left but maybe I yanked the rein as I came back down and that threw him off balance. But it all happened so fast, I'm not entirely sure what went on. I don't know what I could have done to prevent it.

To Roo's credit, as soon as I fell off, he stopped to check on me. Pam said he didn't want to leave me and she had to drag him back across the field to the barn. So maybe he likes me a little bit. :) He really is a good boy, and falls are part of riding horses. They aren't machines; they are animals and things happen. You do what you can to minimize your risks. So I will have a soak in an Epsom salts bath tonight, then go get my ultrasound tomorrow. 

And Kudos to the Canadian healthcare system. Ambulance was at the farm in 10 minutes and I was seen by a doctor soon after I arrived at the hospital. Had xrays and tests and was home within three hours. Then they followed up about the ultrasound last night (I missed the phone call!) And I don't have to pay for any of it unless they decide the ambulance ride was unncessary, in which case I believe you need to cough up $45. We have a really great little hospital under 15 minutes from us!


It's okay buddy, I still love you!

PS: I just noticed that this is my 2000th blog post! I guess I've had a lot to say since 2005.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are OK!!!
    I fell twice during my riding career. I never broke anything, but bruised my underarm, and my tailbone, and couldn't sit right for weeks. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been over 30 years since I've done any riding, but I did take a few good falls. No real injuries, though, which was a miracle. Fingers and paws crossed for you, and we wish you speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your ok, Natalie. I would have fallen long ago. Hope it's not long before you're back on the horse.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Natalie, thankfully you are alright. And thank god for the Canadian Healthcare system! You are such a brave lady. I had one bad experience on a horse and I have never been back on one again. Too chicken!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes glad you are ok . I had many falls from my horses when I was on our farm as a kid and some were not even falls they were being bucked off . I used to break horses when I was a teen lol . I have cracked ribs and had many a bumps and bruises . Yes our health care is good and in our smaller towns the hospitals are fast and through . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying all goes well with your testing, falling from a horse as you well know is DANGEROUS!! Thank God you are ok! (We pray!!) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that you are okay!
    (But feel free to use this as an excuse to be waited upon hand and hoof.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We tend to remember every move in a fall in slow motion. I'm glad there was no serious damage and I hope you have courage to get back on your horse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness you weren't seriously hurt. It sounds both frightening and painful! Hope you feel better soon.

    We do have a pretty good health care system here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish you a quick recovery! The last horse ride memory I have is when I was hanging from the neck of a wild one who was running free on a high speed chase at a beach. :) don't ask!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch! Rest as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you weren't hurt more seriously. Hope the ultra sound goes well and nothing is found wrong. You got off better than me, I got 3 or 4 busted ribs and bruised kidney and tailbone. I was thrown from the horse into an unopened barn door. ouch. You'll be off the horse for about a month until the tailbone feels better and you'll be able to sit on Roo. Heal quickly and sending good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad they are getting you in for an ultrasound... as someone who has just gone through kidney issues - you need to get these things checked out!!!
    Oh and I agree with Red - all my falls are remembered in slow motion.... except that one time that damn bird flew up in front of us... yeah that one was kinda fast...
    So hope that everything will be okay!!
    Please do as your told regarding resting...
    I know it will be hard and you aren't used to "laying around" but honestly you need to get better so you can enjoy your Christmas celebrations!
    Sending hugs from BC

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you are ok! Falls are apart of riding I suppose but scary none the less. Yes Canada Health Care Rocks!! Hugs and get well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending good wishes for a speedy recovery! Wish we had your healthcare system here in The States. Now with Herr Drumpf as president, it's going to be every man for himself. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been thinking of you and look forward to hearing the news (all good) from the hospital. Hope the soreness doesn't get much worse and that you recover quickly. A very gentle Spanish hug is sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad that you are OK after your fall. Great hospital service too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that falling off a horse at some point when you ride is inevitable, but as long as you get back on... all is well. So glad you weren't hurt. Had to laugh at the possible $45 ambulance ride as they wanted to charge my mom $600 for her's and she was 94 when she fell (not from a horse ).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you're okay. I've come off a few times, but never did any serious damage.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!