Thursday, October 15, 2009

"Food, glorious food..."

Oliver! was the first movie I ever saw in a cinema. I believe I was four or five at the time. I got tired and started crying halfway through and my parents took me home.

Anyhoom for some reason, I felt compelled to photograph supper last night.


Russian Blue potatoes from my garden, which are actually purple. Strangely, I have a cutting board to match. A word to the wise: these potatoes look scary when mashed. Save the mashing for the Yukon Golds!




Lemon coriander rub, for salmon, from Bonnie Stern's Essentials of Home Cooking: 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp kosher salt, pepper, 1 tbsp lemon peel, 1 tbsp brown sugar. Rub into salmon and roast on parchment paper at 425F for about 20 minutes until fish flakes easily with fork. Results in this:


Served with a salad thing of yellow peppers, grape tomatoes, avocado, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, sea salt and pepper:



But plating is DEFINITELY not my forte. I am always so hungry that I don't give a damn how it lands on the dish. Gordon is much more artistic with food.

And whenever I serve the purple potatoes with anything, the colour scheme goes all to hell. But I can't help it, they are such yummy potatoes!


I know, I know, orange and purple are not meant to go together on the dinner plate. Just close your eyes and eat.


And no, this is not a lemon zester, I know, I know. I was too lazy to dig out the zester. It's an old grater that belonged to my mother.


The most amazing part: it was made in SWEDEN. Not China! What's made in Sweden these days?!


Random squid shot.

I like squid, too, but it's been a long time since I've cooked it! c. 2006

Bon appetit!


10 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking platter. the blue spuds look particularly tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making me and my leftover grocery store pizza feel rather inadequate right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oliver, I loved that movie when I was a kid. And, stop it, you're making me HUNGRY! Photos look delish....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jams, I blame my paternal Irish lineage for my deep and abiding love of all things potato. The blue ones are REALLY good! Very creamy-ish.. heck, all home-grown tatties are good!

    James, nothing wrong with grocery store pizza! And actually, this meal I photographed got tossed together pretty darn quick.

    Laura-Jane, wasn't it a great movie? And the songs are engraved in my brain for all eternity! And I'm always hungry, so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..never even knew purple potatoes existed! Your salad looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me right up until the squid shot. Blarg! I like the purple potatoes, the salad thing, and I've even had yummy salmon this week. But the squid needs to be turned into calamari right away please! No more slimy stuff. Eternally pregnant woman can not take it!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look grand those purple potatoes. Makes you yearn for the old sod, somewhere south of Moscow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I think purple and orange look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frannie, I like purple and orange together when they're not on my dinner plate! :)

    Michele, my apologies for torturing the pregnant chick. ;))

    Newsman, isn't the world full of Irish Russians longing for potatoes? (Dang, that sounds like poetry!)

    Surani, you send me Sri Lankan devilled chicken, I send you purple potatoes and salad! hey, do you see/grow avocadoes in SL?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! beautiful recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!