If you'll recall, we currently have "Franken-hives", as I am switching the bees from a regular Langstroth hive (green boxes) to a D. E. hive (white parts.) So far the girls are still only working in the bottom deep (box.)
Gordon took photos of me today as I worked.
First, a little bit of smoke under the lid. (Well, the real first was a little bit of smoke at the entrance to the hive!)
"Helloooo? Anybody home?"
That hive tool, so handy for prying apart things that are stuck together!
"Does my butt look fat in this?" Gordon took a surprising number of gratuitous rear-end shots. Okay, so it's not that surprising.
I have carefully taken out the first frame of bees and am putting it vertically on the ground, to lean against the hive. I'm trying very hard not to crush any bees as I do this. When a bee is crushed, a certain scent is emitted that tells all the other bees that their sister has been murdered, and they should get out there and get defensive!
Closely inspecting another frame of bees. You do not, do NOT, want to drop a frame of bees. I am holding on very tightly.
I didn't get stung. I didn't drop a frame of bees. I don't think I squashed any bees (maybe none! I didn't hear any ominous crunching.) I took everything apart and put it all back together again correctly. My first inspection went well, and I'm calling myself a beekeeper now!