Friday, January 03, 2020

Chase

Our newest feline acquisition, lol...



Chase

This cat is magnificent. He is 11 months old, and his former owners wanted me to take him as a barn cat because he kept peeing on their basement floor. I agreed to, but when he arrived, I decided to put him in the large cat cage I have in the granary, with pee pads and a drop sheet covering the floor, since it was cold outside and I needed to figure out a spot for him to get used to living in the barn.


But he was good as gold about using his litter-boxes and never once peed anywhere else, so I decided to let him loose in the granary with the resident cats. And guess what? No accidents, no misbehaviour. Just a delightful young cat who got along great with the other felines.

So I decided I would not consign this youngster to life as a barn cat. I thought about adopting him out, but two things stopped me: I had promised his former owners that I would keep him, but more importantly, we adored him!

And now he has become a therapy cat...


I regularly take cats and kittens to two seniors' residences in Cornwall. A couple of months ago, I decided to give Chase a try.


He has turned out to be an absolute star! He is so gentle and sweet, and he is just as happy to be held and cuddled as he is to play!


He also doesn't give a rat's ass if we dress him up in hats and neckwear...



He saunters around the room wearing that turkey hat like he owns it!


Or perhaps you're in the mood for some cyclops?

He is SUCH an amazing cat, and brings a lot of joy to the people we visit.

I'm not sure why he was having urination issues at his past home, but doesn't where at our place, but I presume that enough has changed in his family dynamic that he feels less stressed. Regardless, he has turned out to be a superb cat and I love taking him on these visits!

He also likes to supervise when I run on my treadmill...



"Make sure you work off all that chocolate you ate over the holidays, mama!"

Chase is definitely a keeper!

20 comments:

  1. Oh goodness he is ADORABLE!!!! Sounds like such a special boy. Sending hugs and purrs from Patch and Flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I cried thru your post before this and was coming back to leave a comment. I smiled thru this post. Chase's story is just wonderful and an example of just how much of an impact you have. I am sure that the rescue work is heart breaking many times. I do follow you on social media so I have seen some of the good and the bad that you deal with. I adored Kwazii and followed him on Instagram. Yes, I cried when he passed away. In my mind, you are definitely a saint for the animals. Thank you for all that you do to make the world a better place for so many animals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again. Nice to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely boy!
    There must have been something bugging him at his last place.
    I wanted to keep Relic as an indoor only cat, but he sprays if I don't let him out. Sometimes it's just a simple small thing - something you may never think of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Chase! Perhaps he was using a spot that a former animal had used...or he was stressed. Who knows, but I'm sure glad he's found a home with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last was a post. I couldn't post on your last entry. I just wanted to say how happy I am to see you back. Thank you for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any cat that lets you dress him up in knitwear is a keeper. What a love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chase and your last post --[previous to this post here]-- just "go together like salt-and-pepper," Natalie! Although Chase is only 11 months old, he somehow already looks/acts like "an old soul"; so as he ages, it'll be very interesting to follow his personality development, you know.
    Kwazii was also "an old soul"; so --[just to me, missing Kwazii from afar]-- it's now genuinely ~c.o.m.f.o.r.t.i.n.g.~ that your little orange-and-white dude Chase ............ seems to be channeling Kwazii, [who really loved you & Gordon SO much]!


    ReplyDelete
  9. I so admire you! Thank you for what you are doing. I have taken in a lot of strays through the years but haven't had good luck making them into pets. We have had to put a heated cat house outside while the other is inside but he sprays even though we have a cat door. At one time we had 4 strays and it was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cat behaviour is quite mysterious some days...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I posted a comment (a long one - perhaps too long) on your last entry. It never showed up so I was wondering if this one would either. Chase looks like a wonderful addition to your managerie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing cat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful story! He just needed the right home to thrive in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweetheart. He just needed Bee Meadow Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Natalie. I have just now been catching up on your blog and I am sorry 2019 was so very difficult for you.
    I sincerely hope 2020 will be 100% better. You do so much for so many, you are a beautiful soul and I absolutely love that Chase is a therapy cat. My parents moved into a residence and the therapy doberman, Diesel, is a ray of sunshine every time he visits. "Zootherapy" is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww chase - you look like an awesome dude and good on you for being such a good guy and settling in so quickly. I admire your hat wearing tolerance.

    Julie and Poppy q

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore cats too. I have a cat's blog as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!