Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dambulla

Well, as a change from grieving over my dog and rejoicing over my piglets, let's finish up the Sri Lanka trip photos.

We stopped at the Dambulla Cave Temples and found this adorable monkey family love-in and group snooze:


The temple complex is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Just downhill from the Cave Temples is the Golden Temple with an immense gold Buddha:



He is absolutely enormous! I took this shot while climbing up to the caves.

These temples date back to the 1st century BC. The outdoor architecture was added in 1938...


Inside are many beautiful Buddha statues and paintings. Every square inch of wall and ceiling is decorated. You can compare all these photos to the ones I took in 2006, on a cooler, rainier day.


I can't remember which cave is which, so you'll just have to enjoy the photos (and read this!)





So many Buddhas!




And an elephant on the ceiling.


There are 153 Buddha statues at the Cave Temples. Amazing! This place is just one of the many wonders of Sri Lanka. I really want to go back for a third visit before too many years pass.


And here's Louise, my grief therapy cat. ;) She drools when you cuddle her! I don't know why my knuckles look so red in this photo. Don't worry, they're fine (unlike my floor, which I hope to get refinished this summer!)




12 comments:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful! But I especially love the monkey family snooze! And as for cats, we have a *drooler* also...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your photos Natalie. Gorgeous! I, too, loved the monkey family snoozing. Look at that Louise..she sure did miss her mama. As for the floors, I am always apologizing for ours. I guess you can't have wood floors and a dog at the same time. Give Tristan a hug for me. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a place! That would be a 'must see' for sure. The furries (not Gordon!) must be missing Sophie too,please give them all a cuddle from me and mine...oh, go on then..Gordon as well!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:09 pm

    Fantastic photos! Maybe Louise has a new calling as a grief therapy cat. Nothing like a cat's purr to soothe your soul. Did Ophelia stop at seven piglets, or are there more? They are a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my way of thinking they spend an awful lot of time and effort on religion. On the other hand if they didn't spend time we wouldn't have such amazing treasures to view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank you, thank you for the wonderful vicarious trip. I am fascinated by all the world's religions and wisdom traditions, although I call myself Christian, they have much to teach the world too. My son't family room floor is like that. What does it entail to get it fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some silly English woman has just been booted-out of Sri Lanka because she had a tattoo of Buddha on her upper arm. Unfortunately England let her back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly Sri Lanka I'd say. They have depictions of Buddha all over the place.

      Delete
  8. The first photo is wonderful, and so is the last, and for similar reasons. The importance of affection and care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous country and pictures! Everyone needs a therapy cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are amazing. Not someplace I expect to visit, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!