Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Clint the Wonder-poodle




Last year, my friend Phyllis DeGioia took in two foster dogs in the wake of hurricane Katrina. Phyllis already had two dogs and a cat, so of course she was not going to keep these foster dogs. Oh no. It was a merely temporary situation, then the wee doggies would be on their way. Yeah, right...

Well, one of the dogs, a cutie named Bella, did go off to a loving new home, but Phyllis had fallen hard and fast for the tiny poodle she called "Clint", after tough-guy Clint Eastwood. So Clint stayed, as new older brother to Chelsea (the un-amused cat) and Fred and Ginger (two little mixed-breed cuties.)

Clint was a bit of a mess when he showed up chez Phyllis. He had a mouthful of rotten teeth, a not-so-lovely coat, and he was too thin. He also loved to twirl obsessively and he had a noticeable hunchback. On top of it, no one new his exact age, other than "ancient."

Well, Phyllis went to work on her new furry baby, and in the photos above, you can see the transformation that seven months of tender loving care have brought about. The top picture shows Clint in September 2005, the bottom one in April 2006, looking like a little spring lamb.

I'm not sure who is luckier, Clint or Phyllis, but the old poodle-boy now has a wonderful new life in Madison, Wisconsin, not to mention his own playpen! When Phyllis adopted Clint, she figured he couldn't have that long left on this mortal coil, but Mr. Clint has been keeping busy proving her wrong. He just keeps getting better and better! I'm starting to think he may outlive Phyllis.

Here's to Clint the Wonder-poodle and Phyllis, even if she won't dress Clint in a pink tutu for me.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe no one has commented on this cutie. Well DAMMIT, I will comment.

    HE IS ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll comment too! Yay for Phyllis for giving Clint a home, and yay for Clint for being really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:16 pm

    He is also getting a real attitude - "I don't want to have the hair on my toes trimmed. Don't cut my nails. I don't want opthalmic ointment 2x day even if my eyes are less crusty. I'm done peein', let's go in." Most new-to-you dogs take about 3 weeks before going off best behavior. Clint's multiple special needs means it took him over 6 months, but at least he's done it. I hate to say it, but he was horribly neglected before Katrina, and being brought here to someone who gave him actual vet care and daily affection saved his life. I love that boy, but when I think of what's been through before he got here, it makes me want to cry. Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of COURSE he's getting an attitude! He takes after his mommy. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!